Wire Cutting Problem - Finding the Length of a Square

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses completing the square for a given equation and finding the dimensions of a square and rectangle formed from a length of wire. The summary also includes a clarification on taking the square root of a fraction.
Peter G.
Hi,

A strand of wire of length 32 cm is cut into two pieces One piece is bent to form a rectangle of width x cm and length (x+2) cm and the other piece is bent to form a square:

Show that the square has sides of length of (7-x) cm.

There are no answers in my book and I wanted to check whether what I did is right:

Length used in the total rectangle: 2x + 2(x+2) = 4x + 4

Square has 4 equal sides, hence, 4x:

4x + 4 + 4x = 32
4x = 28 - 4x
x = 7 - x

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

A strand of wire of length 32 cm is cut into two pieces One piece is bent to form a rectangle of width x cm and length (x+2) cm and the other piece is bent to form a square:

Show that the square has sides of length of (7-x) cm.

There are no answers in my book and I wanted to check whether what I did is right:

Length used in the total rectangle: 2x + 2(x+2) = 4x + 4

Square has 4 equal sides, hence, 4x:
I wouldn't use the 'x' variable again to denote the length of the side of the square, because 'x' is already used as the width of the rectangle and they are not the same. But otherwise, the work looks right.

Peter G. said:
4x + 4 + 4y = 32
4y = 28 - 4x
y = 7 - x

Thanks,
Peter G.

Ah, ok. Yeah, that's much better. :smile:

Thanks

Oh, if you don't mind, could you just help me out with this one too?

I have to complete the square for this: x2 - 1/2x - 1/4 = 0 and give my answer as: a±b√n:

I got: 1/4 ± 1√5/16

but the book says: 1/4 ± √5/4

This is what I did to get to my answer:

x2 - 1/2 x + 1/16 - 1/16 - 1/4 = 0
(x - 1/4)2 - 1/4 - 1/16 = 0
(x - 1/4) = √5/16
x = 1/4 ±1√5/16

Thanks once again,
Peter G.

Peter G. said:
Oh, if you don't mind, could you just help me out with this one too?

I have to complete the square for this: x2 - 1/2x - 1/4 = 0 and give my answer as: a±b√n:

I got: 1/4 ± 1√5/16

but the book says: 1/4 ± √5/4

This is what I did to get to my answer:

x2 - 1/2 x + 1/16 - 1/16 - 1/4 = 0
(x - 1/4)2 - 1/4 - 1/16 = 0
(x - 1/4) = √5/16
x = 1/4 ±1√5/16

Thanks once again,
Peter G.
When you took the square root of 5/16, you took the square root of the numerator but not of the denominator:
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}= \frac{\sqrt{a}}{\sqrt{b}}[/tex]

Ah, ok, so the answer should really be, like in the book: √5/4, 4 being the √ 16. Got it, thanks.

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation in which the highest power of the variable is 2. It can be written in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants.

What types of problems can be solved using quadratics?

Quadratic equations can be used to solve various types of problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value, determining the roots or solutions, and solving word problems involving distance, time, and other variables.

How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving quadratic equations, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The method used depends on the form of the equation and the given information.

What are the real solutions of a quadratic equation?

The real solutions of a quadratic equation are the values of the variable that make the equation true. These solutions can be found by solving for x using the methods mentioned above. If the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is positive, there will be two real solutions. If it is zero, there will be one real solution. If it is negative, there will be no real solutions.

How can quadratics be applied in real-life situations?

Quadratic equations can be used to model a variety of real-life situations, such as projectile motion, profit and loss, and population growth. They can also be used to optimize certain variables, such as finding the minimum cost or maximum profit.