Finding the line of regression

In summary, the conversation discusses two normal equations that were obtained for deriving the regression line of y on x. The equations are 5a + 10b = 40 and 10a + 25b = 95. The main question is how to find the regression coefficient in these equations, which represents the slope of the regression line. The solution involves finding the common points from both equations and using them to determine the regression coefficient.
Doffy
Two normal equations are given :
5a + 10b = 40
10a + 25b = 95
What is the regression line of y on x?

I can easily find the common points from both the equations but how do I find the regression coefficeint?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Doffy said:
Two normal equations are given :
5a + 10b = 40
10a + 25b = 95
What is the regression line of y on x?

I can easily find the common points from both the equations but how do I find the regression coefficeint?

Hi Doffy! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

A regression equation is usually given as $y=Ax+B$.
The regression coefficient in this equation is $A$ and the y-intercept is $B$.

However, I'm not clear on what you have there.
What are those "normal equations"?
And what do your $a$ and $b$ represent?

Thanks for the welcome!:)

And the above two equations were obtained for deriving the regression line of y on x(it said so in the question).

In my opinion, by solving the above equations, the point I would get could become (x bar, y bar). But I cannot find the regression coefficient. What do you think?

Related to Finding the line of regression

1. What is a line of regression?

A line of regression, also known as a regression line, is a straight line that best represents the relationship between two variables in a dataset. It is used to predict the value of one variable based on the value of another variable.

2. How is the line of regression calculated?

The line of regression is calculated using a statistical method called linear regression. This involves finding the best-fitting line that minimizes the distance between the line and all the data points in a dataset. The slope and intercept of the line are determined using a formula that takes into account the mean of the two variables and the covariance between them.

3. What does the slope of the line of regression represent?

The slope of the line of regression represents the rate of change between the two variables. In other words, it indicates how much the dependent variable (y) changes for every unit increase in the independent variable (x). A positive slope indicates a positive relationship, while a negative slope indicates a negative relationship.

4. How do I interpret the intercept of the line of regression?

The intercept of the line of regression represents the value of the dependent variable (y) when the independent variable (x) is equal to 0. It is not always meaningful to interpret the intercept, as it depends on the context and the variables being studied. In some cases, the intercept may not have a practical interpretation.

5. Can the line of regression be used for prediction?

Yes, the line of regression can be used for prediction by plugging in a value for the independent variable (x) and solving for the corresponding value of the dependent variable (y). However, it is important to note that the line of regression is only accurate for predicting values within the range of the data used to calculate it. Extrapolating beyond this range may not yield accurate predictions.