Finding the mass of earths troposphere

• Thread starter zeromodz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation was about finding the mass of air in a specific range and the individual came up with a formula to calculate it. However, they made a few errors in their calculations, such as using the incorrect units and not following proper unit conversions. It is important to always include units in computations to ensure accuracy.
zeromodz
I was wondering if I could find the mass of all the air in the local 9.8 g range. This is what I came up with.

P = F / A^2
Ma = PA^2
M = PA^2 / a
M = P(4πR^2)^2 / a
M = P(16π^2R^4) / a
M = (101325)(16π^2(6400000^4)) / (9.8)
M = 2.74e37 kgI know that can't be right, but what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Surface area of Earth = 500 Million km^2 = 500E12m^2
Air pressure, 101kPa = 10tons/m^2
Total mass = 10E3kg/m^2 * 500E12m^2 = 500E15 kg

hint, you have A^2, but area is already m^2

There is one more error. [itex]A = 4\pi R^2 \neq (4 \pi R)^2[/itex]

mgb_phys said:
Surface area of Earth = 500 Million km^2 = 500E12m^2
Air pressure, 101kPa = 10tons/m^2
Total mass = 10E3kg/m^2 * 500E12m^2 = 500E15 kg

hint, you have A^2, but area is already m^2

Wait, I thought that the units were irrelevant from the formula.

Then why don't we say that?

P = F / L^2, instead of A^2 or LWH = V^3 ?

Last edited:
zeromodz said:
Wait, I thought that the units were irrelevant from the formula.
You have force = pressure/area^2 instead of pressure/area, I think you are getting cofused because pressure is N/m^2

@aeromodz
He did. When he converted from Pa to tons, he effectively divided by g. It is no technically correct to have the equal sign in that step.

And F = P*A, not P*A^2. That's what mgb_phys means by A already being m^2.

Finally, you never, ever ignore units. Do computations WITH the units, to make sure your answer is correct.

For example, if I follow your computations keeping units in place, I end up with final answer being in units of kg*m^2 instead of just kg, and that tells me there was a mistake.

K^2 said:
@aeromodz
He did. When he converted from Pa to tons, he effectively divided by g. It is no technically correct to have the equal sign in that step.

And F = P*A, not P*A^2. That's what mgb_phys means by A already being m^2.

Finally, you never, ever ignore units. Do computations WITH the units, to make sure your answer is correct.

For example, if I follow your computations keeping units in place, I end up with final answer being in units of kg*m^2 instead of just kg, and that tells me there was a mistake.

Okay thank you. I understand now. I just wasn't thinking.

1. What is the definition of Earth's troposphere?

The troposphere is the lowest layer of the Earth's atmosphere, extending from the surface up to an average height of about 12 kilometers.

2. How is the mass of Earth's troposphere measured?

The mass of Earth's troposphere can be measured using a variety of methods, such as satellite data, weather balloons, and atmospheric models. These methods take into account factors such as air density, pressure, and temperature to calculate the mass of the troposphere.

3. What is the approximate mass of Earth's troposphere?

The approximate mass of Earth's troposphere is about 5.1 x 10^18 kilograms.

4. How does the mass of Earth's troposphere compare to the mass of the entire Earth?

The mass of Earth's troposphere is only a small fraction of the mass of the entire Earth, which is estimated to be about 5.972 x 10^24 kilograms.

5. Why is it important to know the mass of Earth's troposphere?

Knowing the mass of Earth's troposphere is important for understanding the Earth's atmosphere and how it affects weather patterns, climate, and air quality. It also helps in studying the planet's overall mass and composition.