Calculating a push force using area, speed, and density?

In summary, using Bernoulli's equation, the force pushing the curtains out of the doorway can be calculated by finding the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the doorway. This pressure difference can then be used in the equation P=F/A, giving a final answer of 21.105 N.
struggtofunc

Homework Statement

The doorway in the previous question measures 1.06 m x 2.04 m, and the wind blows parallel to the wall surface at 3.89 m.s-1. Calculate the force pushing the curtains out of the doorway. The density of air is 1.29 kg.m-3.

Known data:
A = (1.06m)(2.04m) = 2.162 m^2
v(wind) = 3.89 ms-1
air density = 1.29 kg.m-3

Homework Equations

F=ma
P=F/A
change in P = (density)(g)(h) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

change in P = (density)(g)(h)
= (1.29) (9.8) (2.04)
= 25.79 Pa

P = F/A
F = PA
= (25.79)(2.1624)
= 55.77 N

I know my method is most likely wrong but I'm not too sure what other equations I could use, especially one that involves the velocity of the wind.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Bernoulli discovered something about the pressure of moving fluids.

Likes struggtofunc
So using Bernoulli's equation:

P1 + (½ * ρ * v1^2) + (½ * ρ * g * h1) = P2 + (½ * ρ * v2^2) + (½ * ρ * g * h2)

Because the wind is flowing parallel, it would be considered horizontal allowing me to cancel out the heights giving me the equation of

P1 + (½ * ρ * v1^2) = P2 + (½ * ρ * v2^2)

Now I'm expecting to be able to calculate P1 and then use F=PA to calculate the final answer (I'm given the area and would calculate P).

However, because this is a before and after type equation, how would I calculate P1 without a value for P2? I am completely stumped. Thanks for your help!

You get a pressure difference, that is sufficient. The absolute pressure does not matter (apart from its influence on the density, but that is taken into account already).

I'm really sorry but I think I am confusing myself now.

I've rearranged P1 + (½ * ρ * v1^2) = P2 + (½ * ρ * v2^2) to become
P1-P2= ½ * ρ ( v2^2 - V1^2). This would allow me to get a change in pressure.

However, Velocity is not changing so i would be getting a 0 value for v2^2 - V1^2 and wouldn't be able to progress the equation. Am I still on the right track?

There is no changing velocity, but there is a different velocity. One velocity is zero, the other is not.

Likes struggtofunc
Oh yes, I see. Thankyou very much!

Using that then:

P1-P2= ½ * ρ ( v2^2 - V1^2)
change in pressure = 1/2 (1.29)(3.89^2)
= 9.7602045 Pa.

Am I now right to believe that I can use this value in P=F/A to calculate force?
It is a change in pressure so I'm unsure what 'types' of pressure to use in this calculation and why absolute pressure is not considered.

Edit: My calculations for force using P=F/A gives me an answer of 21.105 N

If you have the same pressure on both sides it doesn't influence the door. Only the pressure difference matters.

Looks fine.

Likes struggtofunc
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help :)

1. How do I calculate the push force using area, speed, and density?

The formula for calculating push force is: force = area x speed^2 x density. This means that you need to multiply the area of the surface being pushed, the speed at which it is being pushed, and the density of the object being pushed. The resulting force will be in units of newtons (N).

2. What is the importance of area, speed, and density in calculating push force?

Area, speed, and density are all crucial factors in determining the amount of force needed to push an object. The larger the area of the surface being pushed, the higher the force needed to move it. Similarly, the faster the speed at which the object is being pushed, the greater the force required. And finally, the density of the object being pushed affects how much force is needed to overcome its mass and move it.

3. Is there a specific unit of measurement for area, speed, and density in this calculation?

Yes, the units of measurement used for area, speed, and density must be consistent in order for the calculation to be accurate. Common units used for area are square meters (m^2) and square centimeters (cm^2), for speed are meters per second (m/s) and centimeters per second (cm/s), and for density are kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3) and grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm^3).

4. Can this calculation be applied to all types of surfaces and objects?

The formula for push force can be applied to a wide range of surfaces and objects, as long as the area, speed, and density are known. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the force needed to move or accelerate objects of different shapes and sizes.

5. Are there any limitations or factors that may affect the accuracy of this calculation?

While the push force calculation is a useful tool, there are some limitations and factors that can affect its accuracy. These include friction, air resistance, and the shape and composition of the surface and object being pushed. Additionally, other external forces such as gravity and weight may also need to be accounted for in certain situations.