Finding the (Newtonian) movement equation of an object in a gravitational field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Username007
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
This is a problem I've been looking to solve for some time.

Homework Statement


You must find a movement equation for an object in a gravitational field knowing traditional formulas of force and acceleration of gravity (see below).

Homework Equations



absolute value of the acceleration at a distance 'r' from the centre of gravity of an object with mass 'm'

[itex]g=G\frac{m}{r^{2}}[/itex]

'r' as a movement equation

[itex]r=r(t)[/itex]
[itex]r''(t)=-g[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]r''(t)=-G\frac{m}{r(t)^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]r''(t)r(t)^{2}=-Gm[/itex]

I don't really know what to do next. It seems that r(t) has at least one constant term and it's of degree>2 if it's a polynomial (as acceleration changes). I know nothing more than that.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It might help to rewrite as
[tex]\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}r^2 = -Gm[/tex]
After this you should use a relationship you know linking position, velocity and acceleration mathematically.