1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the pH of a buffered System

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    1. A buffer system commonly used in the biochemistry lab uses a substance abbreviated TRIS, and it's conjugate acid TRISH+. A Buffer is prepared with [TRIS] = 0.60M and
    [TRISH+]= 0.30M. What is the pH of this buffered System? The Ka for TRISH+ is 1.20 x 10^-6

[H+]=Ka [HA]/[A-] (Equation Attached)

3. I know the answer because I am studying off of a practice exam our professor gave to us, but I'd like to know how to solve it. The method I tried was [(1.20x10^-6)*(0.60/0.30)].

Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

• 15-1.png
      15-1.png
      File size:
      887 bytes
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Equation you listed is just a rearranged version of the dissociation constant. It can be modified even further, yielding so called Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:

[tex]pH = pK_a + \log \frac {[A^-]}{[HA]}[/tex]

Once you have it it is just a plug and chug. You just have to understand what is the acid and what is the conjugate base in the case of TRIS.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook