Finding the PMF of Y with Known X

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Dustinsfl
Messages
2,217
Reaction score
5
How do I find the PMF of Y when I know X?
\[
Y = \sin\Big(\frac{\pi}{2X}\Big)
\]
and
\[
p_X[k] = \frac{1}{5}
\]
for \(k = 0,1,\ldots, 4\).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe there're several ways to solve this problem. It's clear that $Y$ is a transformation of $X$. So have you seen any theorems about characteristic funtions of transformated random variables?

EDIT:
I now see that this problem is already solved.
 
Siron said:
...EDIT:
I now see that this problem is already solved.

Well, the [SOLVED] prefix has been added, but I see no solution...
 
dwsmith said:
How do I find the PMF of Y when I know X?
\[
Y = \sin\Big(\frac{\pi}{2X}\Big)
\]
and
\[
p_X[k] = \frac{1}{5}
\]
for \(k = 0,1,\ldots, 4\).

There is a point not clear: writing $\displaystyle p_X[k] = \frac{1}{5}, k= 0,1,2,3,4$ means writing $\displaystyle P\{X=k \} = \frac{1}{5}, k= 0,1,2,3,4$?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
 
chisigma said:
There is a point not clear: writing $\displaystyle p_X[k] = \frac{1}{5}, k= 0,1,2,3,4$ means writing $\displaystyle P\{X=k \} = \frac{1}{5}, k= 0,1,2,3,4$?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

The reason of my question is that for X=0 defining $\displaystyle Y = \sin \frac{\pi}{2\ X}$ is a little difficult task (Dull)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$