1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding The Position of A Mass As A Function of Time

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a mass m on the end of a spring of force constant k and constrained
    to move along the horizontal x axis. If we place the origin at the spring’s equilibrium
    position, the potential energy is U = 1/2kx^2 At time t = 0 the mass is sitting at the
    origin and is given a sudden kick to the right so that it moves out to a maximum
    displacement x_max = A and then continues to oscillate about the origin.

(a) Write down the equation for conservation of energy and solve it to give the
    mass’s velocity [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] in terms of the position x and the total energy E.

(b) Show that E = 1/2kA^2 and use this to eliminate E from your expression for [itex]\dot{x}[/itex]. Find the time for the mass to move from the origin out to a position x.

(c) Solve the result of part (b) to give x as a function of t and show that the mass
    executes simple harmonic motion with period [itex]2 \pi \sqrt{m/k}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

All right. I am currently trying to evaluate the integral, which was instructed of me to find in part (b).

Before I proceed any further, here is a little preliminary work:

[itex]\dot{x}(x) = kA^2 - \frac{k}{m} x^2[/itex]

And I used this fact to find the integral: [itex] \dot{x} = \frac{dx}{dt} [/itex] which becomes by separation of variables [itex]dt = \frac{dx}{\dot{x}}[/itex]

Substituting in, and integrating both sides, this is the integral thus far:

[itex]\int_0^t dt' = \int_0 ^x \frac{dx}{\sqrt{kA^2 - \frac{k}{m}x^2 }} [/itex]

[itex]kA^2 = (k^{1/2}A)^2[/itex] and [itex]\frac{k}{m}x^2= (\omega x)^2[/itex], where

[itex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]. This leads to trigonometric substitution:

[itex]sin \theta = \frac{(k^{1/2}A)^2}{\sqrt{kA^2 -(\omega x)^2}} [/itex]

The problem I have is finding how dx is equal to dθ. I tried using the fact that [itex]\cos \theta = \frac{( \omega x)^2}{(k^{1/k} A)^2}[/itex], then taking the arccos of this, and then taking the derivative of theta with respect to x. This didn't really seem helpful.

How can I get rid of dx, so that I might have an integral involving only theta?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

(b) Show that E = 1/2kA^2 and use this to eliminate E from your expression for ##\dot{x}. Find the time for the mass to move from the origin out to a position x.

Starting with:
    $$\frac{dx}{dt}=kA^2+\omega^2 x^2 : \omega^2=\frac{k}{m}$$ I get $$dt = \frac{dx}{kA^2+\omega x^2}$$

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3
    Are you certain that that is correct? Here is my work from the beginning:

[itex]E = T(\dot{x}) U(x) ~ \rightarrow E =\frac{1}{2}m \dot{x} + \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/itex]

When [itex] x_max = A [/itex], then [itex]\dot{x} = 0[/itex]; thus, [itex]E = 0 + \frac{1}{2}kA^2[/itex]

Taking the equation and solving for [itex]\dot{x}[/itex]:

[itex] \frac{1}{2}kA^2 =\frac{1}{2}m \dot{x} + \frac{1}{2}kx^2 [/itex]

[itex]\dot{x}^2 = kA^2 - \omega x^2 [/itex]

[itex]\dot{x} = \sqrt{kA^2 - \omega x^2}[/itex]

And then I applied the fact that [itex]\dot{x} = \frac{dx}{dt}[/itex], which, by separation of variables, can be written as [itex]dt = \frac{dx}{\dot{x}}[/itex]

I am not certain as to how you were able to do this without introducing a square root.

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

From post #1:
    ... that's what I started from. I take it that's a typo?

... makes more sense :) ... shouldn't that be ##\omega^2## though?

$$\frac{dx}{dt}= \sqrt{kA^2 - \omega^2 x^2}$$

Try substitution:
    $$x=\sqrt{\frac{kA^2}{\omega^2}}\sin\theta\\

dx = \sqrt{\frac{kA^2}{\omega^2}}\cos\theta\; d\theta$$

6. Oct 16, 2013 #5
    Yes, sorry for the typos. How where you able to get [itex]x = \sqrt{\frac{kA^2}{\omega^2}} \sin \theta[/itex]?

7. Oct 16, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you try the substitution?

To understand the choice of substitution, consider:
    If the stuff under the surd was ##1-x^2## ...... what would be the substitution?

8. Oct 17, 2013 #7
    Oh, I just realized that I drew my triangle incorrectly. I wrote the square of the lengths of the hypotenuse and one of the legs; that is, for the hypotenuse, I wrote[itex](k^{1/2} A)^2[/itex], when I should have written [itex]k^{1/2} A[/itex], and for the leg I wrote[itex](\omega A)^2[/itex], rather than [itex]\omega A[/itex].

From the way I have my triangle drawn, [itex]\sec \theta = \frac{k^{1\2}A}{\sqrt{(k^{1/2}A)^2 - (\omega A)^2}} \implies \frac{\sec \theta}{k^{1/2} A} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(k^{1/2}A)^2 - (\omega A)^2}}[/itex]

For the differential of x, [itex]x = \frac{k^{1/2}A}{\omega} \sin \theta \implies dx = \frac{k^{1/2}A}{\omega} \cos \theta d \theta[/itex]

Using these two expressions, I'll substitute them into the integral, for which I will get:

[itex]t = \int \frac{\sec \theta}{k^{1/2} A} \frac{k^{1/2}A}{\omega} \cos \theta d \theta[/itex]

Simplifying,

[itex]t = \frac{1}{\omega} \int d \theta \implies t = \frac{\theta}{\omega}[/itex]

Going back to the triangle, we find that theta is [itex]\theta = \sin^{-1} (\frac{\omega x}{k^{1/2}A})[/itex]

Substituting this in, simplifying, and solving for x, I get

[itex]x = \sqrt{m}A \sin (\omega t)[/itex].

How do I get rid of that square root of the mass?

9. Oct 17, 2013 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your dimensions don't stack up - check your algebra. (Dimensional analysis o the DE you constructed.)
    Note: I can no longer see what you have done.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted