Finding the potential difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses a plate capacitor with area A and distance d1, charged to a potential difference of V1. The distance between the plates then increases to d2=2*d1. The questions posed are: a) What is the new potential difference, V2, between the plates? and b) Find the increase in stored energy, deltaU, and explain where this energy comes from. The answers provided so far suggest V2=E*2*d1, where E=Q/(e0*A) and deltaU=1/2*Q*V2 - 1/2*Q*V1, but it is suggested that these may not be sufficient and further help is requested.
Simon316
okey the question goes like this

A plate capacitor with area A and distance d1 is charged to a potential difference of V1 between the plates. Now the distance between the plates increases to d2 = 2*d1.

a) What is the new potential difference, V2, between the plates?

b) Find the increase in stored energy, deltaU, an explain where this energy comes frome.

what I have found out so far is:
a) V2 = E*2*d1, where E = Q/(e0*A) and therefore does not change with distance.

b) deltaU = 1/2*Q*V2 - 1/2*Q*V1

I don't think these two answers are good enough, but I can't se what else to do, maybe use intgral?
any help is highly appreciated:smile:

Kind regards

Simon

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon,

using your eqn a) what is the ratio v2/v1?

well the ratio must be V2/V1 = d1, but this can't be the answer to a) could it?

unless I miss my guess, it should be 2di/di=2.

hehe yea ofcorse:smile:
but I still don't think the ration is the answer to thequstion, thanks though:smile:

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference can be calculated by dividing the work done to move a unit of electrical charge from one point to another by the amount of charge moved. Mathematically, it is represented as V = W/Q, where V is potential difference, W is work, and Q is charge.

What is the unit of measurement for potential difference?

The unit of measurement for potential difference is the volt (V). It is named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta who invented the first electric battery.

What is the relationship between potential difference and current?

According to Ohm's Law, there is a direct relationship between potential difference and current. As potential difference increases, current also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation V = IR, where V is potential difference, I is current, and R is resistance.

What is the significance of potential difference in circuits?

Potential difference is essential in circuits as it is what allows electric current to flow. It provides the energy needed to move electrons through the circuit and power electronic devices. It also helps to control the direction and rate of current flow.