Finding the Speed of a Mass Attached to a Spring Returning to its Relaxed Length

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
syjxpatty
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A horizontal spring with stiffness 0.6 N/m has a relaxed length of 18 cm (0.18 m). A mass of 23 grams (0.023 kg) is attached and you stretch the spring to a total length of 25 cm (0.25 m). The mass is then released from rest. What is the speed of the mass at the moment when the spring returns to its relaxed length of 18 cm (0.18 m)?


Homework Equations



Kf + Uf = Ki + Ui
((1/2)mv^2)[tex]_{f}[/tex] + ((1/2)KsS^2)[tex]_{f}[/tex]=((1/2)mv^2)[tex]_{i}[/tex] + ((1/2)KsS^2)[tex]_{i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that the final Uf should be zero since the final length of the spring would be zero. I am confused on what I should plug in for the velocities, one of them should be left as a variable and the other perhaps set to zero?
Please let me know what I'm doing wrong, and set me on the right track!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A good tactic to start any physics problem is to come up with an answer you expect. What kind of answer are you expecting?

(Also note: this probably belongs in introductory physics.)