Lagrangian - 2 masses attached by spring

In summary, the problem involves two masses connected by a massless spring and at rest, with one mass suddenly given a small velocity. It is recommended to use center-of-mass coordinates to simplify the problem. In the process of using Lagrange's equation, the equations of motion for the two masses in CoM coordinates are derived, which can then be solved to find the motion and maximum and minimum separations of the masses.
Xyius

Homework Statement

EDIT: This is a 2D problem, so all of my ##x## variables should be vectors. I just realized this and it may answer my question, I don't know yet though.

Two masses, ##m_1## and ##m_2## are connected by a massless spring of spring constant ##k##. The spring is at it's equilibrium length and the masses are both at rest; there is no gravitational field. Suddenly, ##m_2## is given a velocity ##v##. Assume that ##v## is so small that the two masses never collide in their subsequent motion. Describe the motion of both masses. What are their maximum and minimum separations?

Homework Equations

Lagrange's Equation
COM equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor says that we should use center-of-mass coordinates to make the problem easier (He also says assume the length of the spring is zero). The initial kinetic energy expression is given by,

[tex]T=\frac{1}{2}m_1 \dot{x}_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2 \dot{x}_2^2.[/tex]

The center-of-mass transformations are given by,

[tex]\dot{x}_{1,CM}=\dot{x}_1-\dot{X}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{x}_{2,CM}=\dot{x}_2-\dot{X}.[/tex]

Plugging these expressions into the initial expression for kinetic energy and doing some simplification gives me the following.

[tex]T=\frac{1}{2}m_1\dot{x}_{1,CM}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2\dot{x}_{2,CM}^2+\frac{1}{2}M\dot{X}^2[/tex]

The expression for the potential energy is given by,

[tex]V = \frac{1}{2}k(x_{2}-x_{1})^2[/tex]

Using the same transformation equations on this expression gives the following.

[tex]V = \frac{1}{2}k(x_{2,CM}-x_{1,CM})^2[/tex]

Which makes my Lagrangian equal to,

[tex]\mathcal{L}=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m_1\dot{x}_{1,CM}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2\dot{x}_{2,CM}^2+\frac{1}{2}M\dot{X}^2-\frac{1}{2}k(x_{2,CM}-x_{1,CM})^2[/tex]

Using Lagrange's equation, I get the three following equations of motion.

[tex]M\ddot{X} = 0[/tex]
[tex]m_1\ddot{x}_{1,CM}=-k (x_{2,CM}-x_{1,CM})[/tex]
[tex]m_2\ddot{x}_{2,CM}=k (x_{2,CM}-x_{1,CM})[/tex]

What is confusing to me is, why is he recommending COM coordinates? If I were to do this problem in laboratory coordinates, would I not get the exact same equations minus the equation for the center-of-mass?? Wouldn't my Lagrangian in that case be,

[tex]\mathcal{L}=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m_1\dot{x}_{1}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2\dot{x}_{2}^2-\frac{1}{2}k(x_{2}-x_{1})^2?[/tex]

Which yields the same two differential equations for both masses.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have introduced CoM coordinates without really taking CoM into account in the sense that you are still keeping both ##x_1## and ##x_2##. In the CoM coordinates, you can express one as a function of the other. This is the entire point with introducing CoM coordinates. Note that you are increasing the number of degrees of freedom of the system when writing it as you have up to this point, ##x_1## and ##x_2## are not independent.

Likes Xyius
I guess I can isolate ##\ddot{x}_{1,CM}## and ##\ddot{x}_{2,CM}## and subtract the two differential equations from each other and see what I get.

EDIT:

I get ##\ddot{x}=-\frac{k}{\mu}x##
Where ##x = x_{2,CM}-x_{1,CM}##
This is real easy to solve as it is just an oscillator. I believe I can answer the rest problem from this (assuming it is correct)

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in the system of two masses attached by a spring?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system in terms of its position and velocity. In the case of two masses attached by a spring, the Lagrangian takes into account the potential and kinetic energy of the masses and their interaction through the spring, allowing us to accurately model and analyze the system.

2. How is the Lagrangian derived for this system?

The Lagrangian for the system of two masses attached by a spring is derived using the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action integral. By considering the potential and kinetic energies of the masses and their interactions, we can derive the Lagrangian function for this system.

3. What is the equation of motion for the system of two masses attached by a spring?

The equation of motion for this system can be derived using the Euler-Lagrange equations, which relate the Lagrangian function to the forces acting on the system. In this case, the equation of motion is a second-order differential equation that describes the motion of the masses as they oscillate back and forth due to the spring's force.

4. How does the Lagrangian approach differ from the Newtonian approach in analyzing this system?

The Lagrangian approach takes into account the potential and kinetic energies of the system and uses the principle of least action to derive the equation of motion. In contrast, the Newtonian approach uses Newton's laws of motion and forces to analyze the system. The Lagrangian approach can often be more efficient and elegant in solving complex systems, while the Newtonian approach may be more intuitive.

5. Can the Lagrangian approach be applied to systems with more than two masses and springs?

Yes, the Lagrangian approach can be applied to systems with any number of masses and springs. However, the complexity of the equations and the difficulty in solving them increases with the number of masses and springs. In some cases, it may be more practical to use the Newtonian approach for simpler systems.