1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian - 2 masses attached by spring

1. Aug 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

EDIT: This is a 2D problem, so all of my ##x## variables should be vectors. I just realized this and it may answer my question, I don't know yet though.

Two masses, ##m_1## and ##m_2## are connected by a massless spring of spring constant ##k##. The spring is at it's equilibrium length and the masses are both at rest; there is no gravitational field. Suddenly, ##m_2## is given a velocity ##v##. Assume that ##v## is so small that the two masses never collide in their subsequent motion. Describe the motion of both masses. What are their maximum and minimum separations?

2. Relevant equations
    Lagrange's Equation
    COM equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My professor says that we should use center-of-mass coordinates to make the problem easier (He also says assume the length of the spring is zero). The initial kinetic energy expression is given by,

[tex]T=\frac{1}{2}m_1 \dot{x}_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2 \dot{x}_2^2.[/tex]

The center-of-mass transformations are given by,

[tex]\dot{x}_{1,CM}=\dot{x}_1-\dot{X}[/tex]
    [tex]\dot{x}_{2,CM}=\dot{x}_2-\dot{X}.[/tex]

Plugging these expressions into the initial expression for kinetic energy and doing some simplification gives me the following.

[tex]T=\frac{1}{2}m_1\dot{x}_{1,CM}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2\dot{x}_{2,CM}^2+\frac{1}{2}M\dot{X}^2[/tex]

The expression for the potential energy is given by,

[tex]V = \frac{1}{2}k(x_{2}-x_{1})^2[/tex]

Using the same transformation equations on this expression gives the following.

[tex]V = \frac{1}{2}k(x_{2,CM}-x_{1,CM})^2[/tex]

Which makes my Lagrangian equal to,

[tex]\mathcal{L}=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m_1\dot{x}_{1,CM}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2\dot{x}_{2,CM}^2+\frac{1}{2}M\dot{X}^2-\frac{1}{2}k(x_{2,CM}-x_{1,CM})^2[/tex]

Using Lagrange's equation, I get the three following equations of motion.

[tex]M\ddot{X} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]m_1\ddot{x}_{1,CM}=-k (x_{2,CM}-x_{1,CM})[/tex]
    [tex]m_2\ddot{x}_{2,CM}=k (x_{2,CM}-x_{1,CM})[/tex]

What is confusing to me is, why is he recommending COM coordinates? If I were to do this problem in laboratory coordinates, would I not get the exact same equations minus the equation for the center-of-mass?? Wouldn't my Lagrangian in that case be,

[tex]\mathcal{L}=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m_1\dot{x}_{1}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2\dot{x}_{2}^2-\frac{1}{2}k(x_{2}-x_{1})^2?[/tex]

Which yields the same two differential equations for both masses.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have introduced CoM coordinates without really taking CoM into account in the sense that you are still keeping both ##x_1## and ##x_2##. In the CoM coordinates, you can express one as a function of the other. This is the entire point with introducing CoM coordinates. Note that you are increasing the number of degrees of freedom of the system when writing it as you have up to this point, ##x_1## and ##x_2## are not independent.

4. Aug 30, 2015 #3
    I guess I can isolate ##\ddot{x}_{1,CM}## and ##\ddot{x}_{2,CM}## and subtract the two differential equations from each other and see what I get.

EDIT:

I get ##\ddot{x}=-\frac{k}{\mu}x##
    Where ##x = x_{2,CM}-x_{1,CM}##
    This is real easy to solve as it is just an oscillator. I believe I can answer the rest problem from this (assuming it is correct)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted