Finding the sum of 1/(n(n+1)) from n=1 to infinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter martina1075
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 2K views
martina1075
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Good morning,
can someone help me solve this please?
Thank you in advance
Relevant Equations
As per picture
Cannot conclude the answer
936F78D9-B45A-4B3B-B927-78D9A73E9FE2.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
That's an interesting one. Does it say what you are supposed to do?
It says to evaluate the sum. The answer should be 5. The problem is how he got to 5.
 
martina1075 said:
It says to evaluate the sum. The answer should be 5. The problem is how he got to 5.

Have you tried with one or two values for ##n## to see what you get?
 
I don't understand. Where is k in the sum? Shouldn't the sum be over n?

1571405718298.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2 and SammyS
if I tell you to evaluate $$\sum_{k=1}^n c$$ where c is some constant that does not depend on k(but might depend on other things like n for example) what will your answer be?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FactChecker and PeroK
berkeman said:
I don't understand. Where is k in the sum? Shouldn't the sum be over n?

View attachment 251393
That's what I thought at first, hence post #2. But, then, I saw the light!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
There should be a table in your textbook for common arithmetic series. There is no way that the answer is 5.
 
osilmag said:
There should be a table in your textbook for common arithmetic series. There is no way that the answer is 5.

Read the question carefully!
 
osilmag said:
There should be a table in your textbook for common arithmetic series.
No table is needed.
osilmag said:
There is no way that the answer is 5.
See Delta2's hint in post 6.
 
PeroK said:
Read the question carefully!

I did!

Five is if the index stops at one. It doesn't state that in the problem, but it sure tricked me.
 
osilmag said:
I did!

Five is if the index stops at one. It doesn't state that in the problem, but it sure tricked me.

The answer is ##5## for any value of ##n##.
 
PeroK said:
Read the question carefully!
osilmag said:
I did!
Read it even more carefully!
osilmag said:
Five is if the index stops at one. It doesn't state that in the problem, but it sure tricked me.
If n = 2, we have
$$\sum_{k = 1}^2 5 \cdot \frac 1 2 = 5 \cdot \frac 1 2 + 5 \cdot \frac 1 2 = ?$$

What if n = 3? What if n = 4?
 
Ok. I got it! Like I said it tricked me.

I had thought the index counted up from k to n.
 
osilmag said:
Ok. I got it! Like I said it tricked me.

I had thought the index counted up from k to n.
No, the index k counts up from 1 to n. Since the summand doesn't involve k, and so is constant, we're just adding ##5 \cdot \frac 1 n## n times.
 
Mark44 said:
No, the index k counts up from 1 to n. Since the summand doesn't involve k, and so is constant, we're just adding ##5 \cdot \frac 1 n## n times.

... which is essentially the definition of ##n \times \frac 5 n##.
 
PeroK said:
... which is essentially the definition of ##n \times \frac 5 n##.
But is not the usual definition of "5"!