Sum of (n+1) terms in exponential series

This is a reasonable question, in my opinion.In summary, the original poster is asking for a simple expression for the finite sum of the exponential series up to the nth term, and has attempted to use Taylor's expansion, coshx and sinhx expansions but has not seen any consequence. The sum can be expressed in terms of an incomplete Gamma function, but it may not be considered to be simple. It should also be noted that the infinite sum of the exponential series is equal to e^x.
ssd

Homework Statement

S = 1+ x/1! +x2/2! +x3/3! +...+xn/n!
To find S in simple terms.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried with Taylor's expansion, coshx and sinhx expansions. But cannot see consequence.

Physics news on Phys.org
ssd said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None

I tried with Taylor's expansion, coshx and sinhx expansions. But cannot see consequence.
As far as I know, all you can get is ##e^x -\sum_{k=0}^n \frac{x^k}{k!} = r_n(x)## with some boundaries ##c \le r_n(x) \le C##

ssd said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None

According to Maple, the sum can be expressed in terms of an incomplete Gamma function ##\Gamma(n+1,x)## and some other factors, but I am not sure you would call that "simple".

ssd said:
Just to check, S isn't given like this, is it?
S = 1+ x/1! +x2/2! +x3/3! +...+xn/n! + ...

Mark44 said:
Just to check, S isn't given like this, is it?
S = 1+ x/1! +x2/2! +x3/3! +...+xn/n! + ...
No, only n+1 terms.

ssd said:

Homework Statement

Those already look like simple terms to me. :oldsmile:

ssd said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None

s=ex

coolul007 said:
s=ex
No: absolutely not! The infinite sum is ##e^x## but--at least in the initial post--the OP is asking about the finite sum, just for the first ##n+1## terms of the exponential series.

1. What is an exponential series?

An exponential series is a mathematical series in which each term is multiplied by a constant number, called the common ratio, to get the next term. The general formula for an exponential series is a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ..., where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. What is the sum of (n+1) terms in an exponential series?

The sum of (n+1) terms in an exponential series is given by the formula Sn = a(r^(n+1)-1)/(r-1), where Sn is the sum of the first n+1 terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

3. How do you find the sum of (n+1) terms in an exponential series?

To find the sum of (n+1) terms in an exponential series, use the formula Sn = a(r^(n+1)-1)/(r-1), where Sn is the sum of the first n+1 terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. Simply plug in the values for a, r, and n+1 and solve for Sn.

4. Can the sum of (n+1) terms in an exponential series be infinite?

Yes, the sum of (n+1) terms in an exponential series can be infinite if the common ratio r is greater than 1. In this case, the series will continue to grow without bound as n increases, resulting in an infinite sum.

5. What is the significance of the sum of (n+1) terms in an exponential series?

The sum of (n+1) terms in an exponential series is important in understanding the behavior and growth of the series. It can also be used in various applications, such as calculating compound interest or population growth. Additionally, it can help determine if a series is convergent (has a finite sum) or divergent (has an infinite sum).