Sum of (n+1) terms in exponential series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
ssd
Messages
268
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement



S = 1+ x/1! +x2/2! +x3/3! +...+xn/n!
To find S in simple terms.

Homework Equations


None

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried with Taylor's expansion, coshx and sinhx expansions. But cannot see consequence.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ssd said:

Homework Statement



S = 1+ x/1! +x2/2! +x3/3! +...+xn/n!
To find S in simple terms.

Homework Equations


None

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried with Taylor's expansion, coshx and sinhx expansions. But cannot see consequence.
As far as I know, all you can get is ##e^x -\sum_{k=0}^n \frac{x^k}{k!} = r_n(x)## with some boundaries ##c \le r_n(x) \le C##
 
ssd said:

Homework Statement



S = 1+ x/1! +x2/2! +x3/3! +...+xn/n!
To find S in simple terms.

Homework Equations


None

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried with Taylor's expansion, coshx and sinhx expansions. But cannot see consequence.
According to Maple, the sum can be expressed in terms of an incomplete Gamma function ##\Gamma(n+1,x)## and some other factors, but I am not sure you would call that "simple".
 
ssd said:
S = 1+ x/1! +x2/2! +x3/3! +...+xn/n!
To find S in simple terms.
Just to check, S isn't given like this, is it?
S = 1+ x/1! +x2/2! +x3/3! +...+xn/n! + ...
 
Mark44 said:
Just to check, S isn't given like this, is it?
S = 1+ x/1! +x2/2! +x3/3! +...+xn/n! + ...
No, only n+1 terms.
 
ssd said:

Homework Statement



S = 1+ x/1! +x2/2! +x3/3! +...+xn/n!
To find S in simple terms.
Those already look like simple terms to me. :oldsmile:
 
ssd said:

Homework Statement



S = 1+ x/1! +x2/2! +x3/3! +...+xn/n!
To find S in simple terms.

Homework Equations


None

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried with Taylor's expansion, coshx and sinhx expansions. But cannot see consequence.
s=ex
 
coolul007 said:
s=ex
No: absolutely not! The infinite sum is ##e^x## but--at least in the initial post--the OP is asking about the finite sum, just for the first ##n+1## terms of the exponential series.