How does (n+1)^n(n+1)+1 expand to n(n+1)^n+(n+1)^n+1?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fabrizio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Property
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Fabrizio
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


understanding the following equation:

##(n+1)^n(n+1)+1=n(n+1)^n+(n+1)^n+1##.

I don't know from where the first ##n## on the RHS comes and how this is related to a single addition of ##(n+1)^n##.

Homework Equations


##a(b+c)=ab+ac##

The Attempt at a Solution


My guess is that it has something to do with the distributive property or the binomial theorem, but i don't see how. The fact that this is very basic, i don't know how to attack the problem. I don't know of any intermediate steps. If someone wants to point out an intermediate step, it would be very much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: distribute the second term in parenthesis to the first term.
 
Aaaah, now i see it. I can't believe i did not notice it earlier. Thanks for the hint!