Finding the Sum of an Infinite Series with a Given Radius |x|<1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
stefaneli
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I need to find the sum of a given infinite series when [itex]|x|<1[/itex] (which is the radius of this series)

Homework Equations



[itex]\sum_{n=1}^{∞}(-1)^{n+1}\frac{x^{2n+1}}{4n^2-1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried to do the following:

[itex]S'(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{∞}(-1)^{n+1}\frac{x^{2n}}{2n-1} \\<br /> S''(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{∞}(-1)^{n+1}\frac{2nx^{2n-1}}{2n-1}\\<br /> S'''(x) = 2\sum_{n=1}^{∞}(-1)^{n+1}nx^{2(n-1)}\\[/itex]

And I was thinking about substitution [itex]t = x^2[/itex], but I had no success.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi stefaneli! :smile:
stefaneli said:
[itex]S'(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{∞}(-1)^{n+1}\frac{x^{2n}}{2n-1}[/itex]


[itex]= x\sum_{n=1}^{∞}(-1)^{n+1}\frac{x^{2n-1}}{2n-1}[/itex] :wink:
 
Thanks tiny-tim. I don't know how I haven't noticed. Stupid.:) But can it be done the way I started? Just curious.
 
stefaneli said:
… can it be done the way I started?

i suppose so, but you'd need to be very careful when you change the variable :frown:
 
Try doing partial fractions. IE 1/(4n^2-1)= 1/2*(1/(2n-1)-1/(2n+1))
 
Your answer will be something like 1/2*((x^2-1)arctan(x)-x), just use partial fractions, and get it into a more manageable form