1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding sum of infinite series: sums of two series together

1. Dec 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the sum of the following series:
    $$ \left( \frac 1 2 + \frac 1 4 \right) + \left( \frac 1 {2^2} + \frac 1 {4^2} \right) +~...~+ \left( \frac 1 {2^k} + \frac 1 {4^k} \right) +~...$$

2. Relevant equations
    $$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left( u_k+v_k \right) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} u_k + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} v_k $$
    $$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} cu_k = c \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} u_k $$
    Sum of a geometric series ## \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} ar^k = \frac a {1-r} ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    The question referred back to the two relations I've put in the 'relevant equations' section - I assumed I'm meant to use the first one. So I split the sum into two sums as follows:
    $$ \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left( \frac 1 {2^k} + \frac 1 {4^k} \right) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {2^k} + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {4^k} $$
    For the left term, I got:
    $$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {2^k} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left( \frac 1 2 \right)^k = \frac 1 {1- \frac 1 2} = 2$$
    Similarly for the right term:
    $$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {4^k} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left( \frac 1 4 \right)^k = \frac 1 {1- \frac 1 4} = \frac 4 3 $$
    Then adding these together gives me ## 3 \frac 1 3 ##, which is... the wrong answer :redface:

I can see that ## \frac 1 {4^k} = \frac 1 {2^{2k}} ## - has that got something to do with the solution?

Edit: I should say that the answer in the back of the book is ## \frac 4 3 ## which makes me think that there must be a way that the first series is 'incorporated into' the second, but I can't quite get my head around that...!

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The formula is valid if the sum goes from k=0

4. Dec 22, 2016 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A couple of problems here.

First, the index in the Sigma notation should match the index in the items you are summing.

Then, as @ehild has pointed out, your index should start at zero, not 1 (unless you adjust for that).

Sum of a geometric series:
    ##\displaystyle \sum_{k = 0}^{\infty} ar^k = \frac a {1-r} ##
    or​
    ##\displaystyle \sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} ar^k = \frac {ar} {1-r} ##

5. Dec 22, 2016 #4
    $$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {2^k} = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \left( \frac 1 2 \right)^k = \frac {\color{green}{1}} {1- \frac 1 2} = 2$$
    The first term(a) is not 1.

6. Dec 22, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

$$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac 1 {2^k} = 2 \; \Longleftarrow \; \text{FALSE!}$$
    $$ \begin{array}{lcc} \frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4} &=& \frac{3}{4}\\
    \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{8} &=& \frac{7}{8}\\
    \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4} + \frac{1}{8} +\frac{1}{16} &=& \frac{15}{16}\\
    \vdots&\vdots&\vdots
    \end{array}
    $$
    The sums are creeping up to 1, not to 2.

7. Dec 22, 2016 #6
    Ah ok, my mistake. Thank you all for pointing that out, I didn't realise the formula would change if the index changed, though of course that makes sense. Cheers!

8. Dec 22, 2016 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't consider it solved until you give a complete solution.

Yes, it's likely that now you do know how to solve this.​

9. Dec 22, 2016 #8
    Yes I know, that is the error in the post.
    He forgot to account for first term of the GP (a) in the formula.

I should have wrote the formula in quote box.

10. Dec 23, 2016 #9
    So by multiplying the formula by ##r## in order to start the index at 1 instead of 0, it becomes ## \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac {ar} {1-r} ## where ##a = a_0 = 1## for both series (because when summing a geometric series from ##n=1##, the first term is ##a_1 = ar##). The sum of each series is therefore 1 and ##\frac 1 3## respectively giving a total of ##\frac 4 3##.

* she :)

Thanks again folks!

11. Dec 23, 2016 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

@Ryaners, please post questions about infinite series in the Calc & Beyond section. I have moved this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted