1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use fourier series to find sum of infinite series

1. May 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

wkbow.png

Find the value of An and given that f(x) = 1 for 0 < x < L/2, find the sum of the infinite series.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The basis is chosen to be ##c_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}cos (\frac{n\pi }{L}x)## for cosine, and ##s_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin (\frac{n\pi}{L}x)## for sine.

[tex]|f\rangle = \sum_0^{\infty} \langle c_n|f\rangle |c_n\rangle + \sum_1^{\infty}\langle s_n|f\rangle|s_n\rangle[/tex]

Compare this with:

[tex]f = \sum_0^{\infty}c_n' cos(\frac{n\pi }{L}x) + \sum_1^{\infty}A_n sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x)[/tex]

We are given that f(x) = 1 for 0 < x < L/2.

Therefore,
    [tex]A_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\langle s_n|f\rangle = \frac{2}{L}\int_0^{L/2}f_{(x)} sin(\frac{2\pi n}{L}x) dx[/tex]
    [tex]A_n = \frac{1}{n\pi}\left[1 - cos(n\pi)\right][/tex]
    [tex]A_n = \frac{1}{n\pi}\left[1 - (-1)^n\right][/tex]

For odd n, ##A_n = \frac{2}{(2n-1)\pi}##

Either the first series or the third series works for ##A_n##:

For 0 < x < L/2, f(x) = 1:

[tex]1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2}{(2n-1)\pi}sin\left(\frac{2\pi n}{L}x\right)[/tex]

Choosing x = L/4:
    [tex]1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2}{(2n-1)\pi}sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{2}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2}{(2n-1)\pi} (-1)^{n+1}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\pi}{2} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{(2n-1)} = 1 - \frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{5} - ...[/tex]

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The exercise asks for an expression for ##k_n##

From your ##s_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin (\frac{n\pi}{L}x)## I get the impression that n = 1 is also allowed. But then the period definitely isn't L !

Furthermore, for periodic functions the integral isn't from ##-\infty## to ##\infty## or from ##0## to ##\infty## but from ## 0 ## to ## L##

4. May 4, 2014 #3
    Oops, the correct value for kn should be ##k_n = \frac{2\pi n}{L}##.

And I've updated my answers above. Now I'm missing a factor of 1/2 on the LHS.

5. May 4, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Missing 1/2 on the LHS of what, exactly?
    Remind me of the relevant eqn for ##A_n##...

6. May 4, 2014 #5
    [tex]f_{(x)} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n-1)\pi}sin\left(\frac{2\pi n}{L}x\right)[/tex]

If I choose x = L/4 or L/8, LHS should be = 1, given f(x) = 1 for 0< x < L/2. But the RHS is different.

7. May 6, 2014 #6
    So, if ##A_n = \frac{1}{n\pi}\left[1 - (-1)^n\right]##, then for odd n: ##A_n = \frac{1}{n\pi}\left[1 - (-1)^n\right]##.

Plugging this into the fourier series:

[tex]1 = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2}{(2n-1)\pi}sin\left(\frac{n\pi}{2}\right)[/tex]

Still the LHS isn't ##\frac{\pi}{4}##..

8. May 6, 2014 #7
    What do you get when you do the following integration ##A_n=\frac{2}{L/2}\int_0^{L/2}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L/2})dx##? You just made a silly mistake in your calculation. Show your calculations step by step.

9. May 6, 2014 #8
    I have no idea about the fourier series but the problem doesn't state any restriction about using it to evaluate the given sum. I have two methods.

Method 1:
    The given sum is:
    $$\begin{aligned}
    \\
    \sum_{r=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^r}{2r+1} & =\sum_{r=0}^{\infty} (-1)^r\int_0^1 x^{2r}\,dx\\
    & =\int_0^1 \frac{dx}{1+x^2}\\ & =\left(\arctan(x)\right|_0^{1}\\ &=\frac{\pi}{4} \end{aligned} $$

Method 2:
    Use the series of ##\ln(1+x)## at ##x=i## where ##i=\sqrt{-1}## i.e
    $$\ln(1+i)=\ln(\sqrt{2}e^{i \pi/4})=i-\frac{1}{2}-\frac{i}{3}+\frac{1}{4}+\frac{i}{5}-\cdots$$
    Compare the imaginary parts on both the sides to get the sum.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  10. May 6, 2014 #9
    I am guessing the OP is taking a class in Fourier Analysis, which is why he's posting this problem. Yes, there are other methods, but I think he needs to understand what he is doing wrong in his calculation of the Fourier series.

11. May 6, 2014 #10
    Ok, I think I got it. Fe or a sine series, we extend the function to be f(x) = -1 for L/2 < x < L. So that the integrand is an odd*odd = even function.

Thus,

[tex]A_n = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L f_{(x)} sin \left(\frac{2\pi n}{L}x\right) dx = 2\left( \frac{2}{L} \right) \int_0^{\frac{L}{2}} sin \left(\frac{2\pi n}{L}x\right) dx[/tex]

I have found my missing factor of 1/2!

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  12. May 6, 2014 #11
    Honestly, that is brilliant! I couldn't have thought of that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted