Finding the time it takes to reach 55 mph on paper

• Thread starter dirtboi22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper Time
In summary: For a race tire, use the inflated diameter.In summary, you need to take into account the powertrain efficiency loss, the aero drag, and the inertia of the rotating pieces to get an accurate time to reach 55 mph/80 ft/s on paper.
dirtboi22
Finding the time it takes to reach 55 mph on paper.
You have the horse power, torque, transmission gear ratios of 1-5, rpm range, drive ratio, and primary drive ratio, and weight. You know Velocity=[(RPM*tire radius*2pi)/(Drive ratio*Gear ratio*Primary drive ratio*60)] which is velocity in ft/s . What more must you do in order to find the time it takes to reach 55 mph/80 ft/s? Is there something else I can solve for to graph against velocity in order to find this time? This is a home project of mine.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am looking for a way that involves graphing, such that the area under the curve is equal to time.
I also forgot to say thank you to the ones that are taking there time to help me here!

I'm afraid that I know nothing of math or graphing, including what "under the curve" means. I do, however, know a bit about cars.
A few things that you have to take into account (and I might not be using proper terminology) are your friction coefficient of the drive tires, rolling resistance (including bearing friction and brake pad drag) of those plus the "idle" tires, aerodynamic resistance, shifting efficiency (gaps decrease your acceleration)...
There are more, but those are all that come to mind right now. Ranger can probably give you a lot more.

Assuming there is perfect traction, I can think of a way.

Start off with the equation Torque = Moment of Inertia * Angular acceleration...E1

For each gear ratio, within the rpm of gear change, for each speed, calculate the torque based on the corresponding power value using Torque = Power/Angular Velocity and introduce appropriate reduction. Calculate the angular acceleration using E1.

Plot the angular acceleration values on the graph against time. Calculate the area under the curve keeping time t as an unknown variable to obtain the average velocity (integration of acceleration with respect to time yields velocity). Equate this angular velocity to the angular velocity corresponding to 55mph. Calculate the time.

It sure seems complex, but you're trying to model a complex scenario.

Danger listed most of the additional effects to keep in mind but a big one that is missing is the inertia of your rotating pieces. Everything that moves in the drivetrain has to be accelerated up to speed along with the linear motion of the car (for example the tires need to be spun up to speed) so the mass of the car is not the appropriate number to use for finding the acceleration of the car as a function of force.

I don't know what that number will look like for a regular vehicle but as part of an engineering project for an electric powered car that increased the effective mass of the vehicle by about 25%. The effect is going to depend on what gear you're in probably

Office_Shredder said:
Danger listed most of the additional effects to keep in mind but a big one that is missing is the inertia of your rotating pieces.

Drat! That one must have been hiding behind a tree while I was out hunting.

speed calc

Danger , as always...has great insight..
here is some food for thought from the old Mopar Chassis book
One thing you have to get your arms around it the aero drag once the car is moving..it is huge and is probably the most misunderstood factor in the whole project.
Please check into drag coefficient...

Attachments

• drag tire 001.jpg
    drag tire 001.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 441
  • qtr mile formula.jpg
    qtr mile formula.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 478
dirtboi22 said:
You have the horse power, torque, transmission gear ratios of 1-5, rpm range, drive ratio, and primary drive ratio, and weight. You know Velocity=[(RPM*tire radius*2pi)/(Drive ratio*Gear ratio*Primary drive ratio*60)] which is velocity in ft/s . What more must you do in order to find the time it takes to reach 55 mph/80 ft/s? Is there something else I can solve for to graph against velocity in order to find this time? This is a home project of mine.
If you're using engine dyno graphs and not chassis dyno graphs you also have to factor in powertrain efficiency loss. A 20% drop is typical and will get you close to real numbers. This is what you actually have available at the rear wheels to accelerate the car.

After applying the 20% factor, use the torque curve to plot acceleration rates every 500 rpm for the gear ratio numbers and vehicle weight. If you just want a quick indication, take the average acceleration in each gear and figure out how much time it'll take to get through each gear. Add up the amount needed to reach 80 ft/s and you're good. For 55 mph you don't need to worry very much about aero drag unless you're quite underpowered.

Ranger Mike said:
here is some food for thought from the old Mopar Chassis book
Just a note on the first of your thumbnails: for street tires, the free diameter is the number to use. They don't grow like the slicks used in the higher classes.

I just thought of something (I don't like that; it hurts my head).
Is the time stolen by spring-wrap mostly recovered when they unwind, or is it gone for good?

Danger...time is a fleeting thing..as we oldsters know only too well..but

spring wrap is not desired as it detracts from a proper launch sequence. Torsional energy generated by Axel/ tire / pavement reaction is converted to heat energy when the springs wrap and shocks ( dampers) compress. Too much wrap means too soft a spring, too stiff a spring means little or no weight transfer which kills the launch. As in life there is a balance so the crew must tune the suspension to the track conditions. Time is not lost..just not beign used as effcetively as needed..

Thanks, Mike.
I was unaware of that. The only track tuning that I knew of was adjusting the snubber height on the slappers. (This should go into the "jargon" puzzle thread. :devil:)

dirtboi22 said:

You can find a calculator for that here. The complete theory is explained at the bottom of the page under Theory»»Longitudinal acceleration»»Accelerating»»Speed, distance & time.

jack action said:
You can find a calculator for that here. The complete theory is explained at the bottom of the page under Theory»»Longitudinal acceleration»»Accelerating»»Speed, distance & time.

Ok then. I know my next question.

pf.cdaw.jpg

---------------------------
ps. The solution to the OP's question, was the very first computer program I wrote. That would have been sometime around 1975. The equation was from either Road & Track or Car & Driver. I wrote it down, in case anyone is interested.

I have done similar.

I modeled a torque curve as a parabolic curve. For .1 second increments, I first determined which gear the car would be in from the previous iterations wheel speed, worked out the engine RPM from wheel speed and gear ratio, plumbed that into the parabolic engine torque equation then multiplied that figure back through the gears to give the instantaneous drive thrust at that instant. The drive thrust divided by the vehicle weight would give me an acceleration rate, and over .1 second I could then determine the additional speed and distance gained.

Rinse, repeat, then lookup 55mph for the time and distance.

Kozy said:
I have done similar.

I modeled a torque curve as a parabolic curve. For .1 second increments, I first determined which gear the car would be in from the previous iterations wheel speed, worked out the engine RPM from wheel speed and gear ratio, plumbed that into the parabolic engine torque equation then multiplied that figure back through the gears to give the instantaneous drive thrust at that instant. The drive thrust divided by the vehicle weight would give me an acceleration rate, and over .1 second I could then determine the additional speed and distance gained.

Rinse, repeat, then lookup 55mph for the time and distance.
Jeez, but you had a sheltered life. I just stomped on the gas and rowed the shifter.
(And I bet that I had a lot more fun than you did.)

Erm, this is an engineering forum, is it not? Isn't that the sort of thing we do here?

Danger said:
Jeez, but you had a sheltered life. I just stomped on the gas and rowed the shifter.
(And I bet that I had a lot more fun than you did.)
Hey! I was 14 when I developed that software.
Kozy said:
Erm, this is an engineering forum, is it not? Isn't that the sort of thing we do here?
Not after we turn 16*. Then we turn to field testing our theories. Woo Hoo! :biggrin:

*The age at which we are not required to have an adult in the vehicle.

Related to Finding the time it takes to reach 55 mph on paper

1. How is the time to reach 55 mph on paper calculated?

The time to reach 55 mph on paper is calculated using the formula: time = (final velocity - initial velocity) / acceleration. This formula is based on the principles of physics and takes into account the acceleration of the object.

2. What factors affect the time to reach 55 mph on paper?

The time to reach 55 mph on paper is affected by factors such as the initial velocity, the acceleration of the object, and any external forces acting on the object. The weight and shape of the object may also influence the time it takes to reach 55 mph.

3. Can the time to reach 55 mph on paper be different for different objects?

Yes, the time to reach 55 mph on paper can vary for different objects depending on their initial velocity, acceleration, and other factors such as weight and shape. Objects with a higher initial velocity or lower acceleration will take longer to reach 55 mph compared to objects with a lower initial velocity or higher acceleration.

4. How can the time to reach 55 mph on paper be measured?

The time to reach 55 mph on paper can be measured using a stopwatch or a timer. The object's initial velocity and acceleration can be measured using tools such as a speedometer or an accelerometer. These measurements can then be used in the formula to calculate the time it takes for the object to reach 55 mph.

5. Is the time to reach 55 mph on paper the same as in real life?

No, the time to reach 55 mph on paper may not be the same as in real life due to various factors. In real life, there may be air resistance, friction, and other external forces that can affect the acceleration of the object. These factors are not taken into account when calculating the time on paper, making the results slightly different from real-life scenarios.