1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the time using the acceleration (forces)

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Joey is now on a raft in the ocean, try to sail home. The raft + Joey have a total mass of 195kg. The ocean current produceds a force of 60N eastwaard and the wind produces a force of 95N at 80 degrees. Find the acceleration of the raft (magnitude and direction). If these forces are constant, how long will it take Little Joey to travel 4km?

2. Relevant equations

So I figured out the magnitude of acceleration which is 0.62m/s/s and the direction of acceleration is 50.9 degrees.

3. The attempt at a solution

To find Time
    would I use this equation: Distance = (0.5)(a)(t^2)
    ???
    if so, would it be

4000m = (0.5)(0.62m/s/s)(t^2)

and just solve t from there?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That seems reasonable, doesn't it?

This probably doesn't belong in the advanced physics section, by the way.

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3
    awesome :D thank you!

sorry >.< the reason why i put it in advanced is because i'm taking ap physics right now >.< i didn't know where to put it

5. Dec 13, 2011 #4

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's OK. The advanced physics section is for "upper-division (college junior or senior) and graduate-level questions.", so for next time the introductory physics section would be better - you'll get a quicker reply that way, more people read it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook