1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the total gravitational potential energy of a gas cloud

1. Apr 30, 2010 #1
    An interstellar gas cloud can be roughly described as spherical with a uniform density. Its radius is R and its total mass M.
    By considering the gravitational potential energy of a thin spherical shell, show that the total potential energy of the cloud is given by:
    Egrav=-[tex]\frac{3}{5}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{GM^2}{R}[/tex]​

Ok, so I believe that I need to find the gravitational force acting on this shell, which I have found to be
    F=4[tex]\pi[/tex]GM(r)[tex]\rho[/tex](r)[tex]\delta[/tex]r​
    and I must integrate this to find energy of the shell, and then integrate over the mass to find the total energy, but I am failing to get the desired result.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2010 #2
    Think of it more as if you had a shell with mass dM. And you brought it in from infinity to a solid sphere of mass M.

So write out the differential change in potential energy to bring a shell of mass dM from infinity to 'r'.

This is what you will want to integrate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook