Finding the velocity of sound in a tube.

In summary, the conversation discusses an acoustics lab where the speaker is creating sounds in a tube with a piston. The distance "X" between the initial and reflected pulses is measured and used to calculate the time (T) using a Time/Div value of 0.0005 s/div. A graph is created with y values ranging from 0.0001 s to 0.0036 s. The slope is calculated as 1.5 x 10^-4. The goal is to use this slope to determine the velocity of sound, with an accepted value of 340 m/s at 20 degrees Celsius. The speaker eventually figures out the formula to use and calculates the velocity.
minute34
I'm doing an acoustics lab, and I have a tweeter which is making sounds into a tube with a piston in it, i move the piston to different positon, and measure the distance " X ". "X " is the distance between the initial and reflected pulses. I then found time ( T ) by multiplying my "X" by the (Time/Div) which was 0.0005 s/div. I made a graph, which I'm not sure is right either, my y values (Time) range anywhere from 0.0001 s to 0.0036.

I calculated my slope and got 1.5 x 10^-4

Calculate the velocity of sound from the slope and compare your values with the accepted value of 340 m/s at 20 degrees celius. My slope is 1.5 x 10^-4.

Can anyone help me, I'm just not sure which formula to use, because I hardly have any information, any guidance at all would be appriciated. Thanks:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
whoa, never mind i figured it out.

As a fellow scientist, I would like to offer some guidance on your acoustics lab experiment. First, it is important to understand the concept of sound velocity and how it is affected by different factors such as temperature and medium. The formula for sound velocity in air is V = 331.5 + 0.6T, where T is the temperature in degrees Celsius. This means that at 20 degrees Celsius, the accepted value for sound velocity is 340 m/s.

In your experiment, you have calculated the slope of your graph to be 1.5 x 10^-4. This slope represents the change in time (T) over the change in distance (X). Therefore, you can use the formula V = X/T to calculate the velocity of sound in your tube. Plugging in your values, we get V = (1.5 x 10^-4) / (0.0005 s/div) = 0.3 m/s.

This value seems quite low compared to the accepted value of 340 m/s. There could be several reasons for this discrepancy. One possibility is that your measurements for distance (X) and time (T) were not accurate enough. Another factor could be the temperature in your lab, which may be different from 20 degrees Celsius. It is important to ensure that all experimental conditions are controlled and accurately measured in order to obtain reliable results.

In conclusion, the formula V = X/T can be used to calculate the velocity of sound in your tube. However, it is important to consider all factors and sources of error in order to obtain accurate results. I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

1. How is the velocity of sound in a tube determined?

The velocity of sound in a tube can be determined by measuring the distance between two fixed points in the tube and calculating the time it takes for a sound wave to travel that distance. This can be done using a stopwatch and a known frequency of sound.

2. What factors can affect the velocity of sound in a tube?

The velocity of sound in a tube can be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and the material of the tube. Higher temperatures and humidity can increase the velocity of sound, while different materials may have different velocities due to their density and stiffness.

3. How does the length of the tube affect the velocity of sound?

The length of the tube can affect the velocity of sound by changing the wavelength of the sound wave. As the length of the tube increases, the wavelength also increases, which can result in a lower velocity. This is because the speed of sound is directly proportional to the frequency and wavelength of the sound wave.

4. Can the velocity of sound in a tube be affected by external noise?

External noise can affect the velocity of sound in a tube by disrupting the sound wave and causing it to travel at a different speed. This can be minimized by conducting the experiment in a quiet environment and making sure that the frequency of the sound being produced is not affected by the noise.

5. How is the velocity of sound in a tube related to the speed of sound in air?

The velocity of sound in a tube is directly related to the speed of sound in air. This is because sound waves travel faster in a more dense medium, such as the air inside a tube, compared to the less dense air outside the tube. This relationship can be seen in the formula v = fλ, where v is the velocity of sound, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.