Solving for Time to Reach Ground: Calculating Velocity of Sound over 50m

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Robloxian642
Messages
7
Reaction score
4
Homework Statement
A baseball is hit 50 meters. The sound of the ball hitting the ground is heard 6 seconds later. How long did it take for the ball to hit the ground
Relevant Equations
Δd = (Vo + Vf)/2 * t
So I figured that to find how long did the ball take to hit the ground I would have to subtract 6 with the time it took the sound to reach back to the player.

My givens are

Velocity Intial = 330 m/s, speed of sound
Δd = 50m
Velocity Final = 0m/s because sound stops when it reaches the ear?? confused about this one

What I need to find is the time
Δd = (Vo + Vf)/2 * t

50 = 330/2 * t
50 = 165* t
t = 0.303 -- Time it takes to get back to the ear

6 - 0.303 = 5.7

The answer on the back is 5.805

How can I find a solution to this problem, thank you for reading
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the answer in the back 5.85 or 5.805? I think this is just a constant velocity problem using the speed of sound. The sound is not changing its velocity so there isn't an initial and final velocity (or the initial and the final is the same if you want to use that equation). Just one constant velocity. So, you can just use d=v*t (50=330*t). If solving for time, you get 0.15 seconds. So out of the total 6 seconds, only 0.15 seconds was the sound traveling back to your ear. The other 5.85 seconds was the ball in the air.
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Robloxian642