Finding the weight of air above your head using atmospheric pressure

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deeviant
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air Force Head
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Deeviant
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
Ok I have the following question:

If the top of your head has a surface area of 113 cm2, what is the weight of the air above your head?

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I used the P = F/A. Solved for F to get F= P/A. I'm assuming the question is asking me for the force of the air on my head.

I'm using a figure of 1.013X10^5 Pa for atmospheric pressure, and I converted cm to meters then divide the P(101300 Pa) by A(1.13) meters, and webassign told me to go fish.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Try using kPa or keeping the area value in sq. cm. That might work.
 
Hmm well I did make one stupid mistake when solving for F, F= P*A. Although I still can't seem it get it right. I'm sure its something to do with units, I have been having huge problems getting the units right lately, sometimes they just don't make sense.

It wants the answer in N. So I would assume I have to convert cm to m since N is in meters. But I'm just not having any luck today with this question, the silly thing is this is the first question and I have answer most of the harder ones already, just can't get this one.
 
1 m = 100 cm
[tex](1\ m)^2 = (100\ cm)^2[/tex]
[tex]1\ m^2= 1X10^{4}\ cm^2[/tex]
[tex]113\ cm^2= \frac{113}{10^4} = 0.0113\ m^2[/tex]
[tex]F=P*A=1.013X10^5*0.0113=1145\ N[/tex]