Finding velocity, time, and distance

In summary, the car has an acceleration of 0.3589 m/s^2 and it takes 6.8826 seconds to travel the length of the ramp. The traffic on the freeway travels a distance of 117 meters while the car is moving the length of the ramp.
oliampian

Homework Statement

A car sits in an entrance ramp to a freeway, waiting for a break in the traffic. The driver sees a small gap between a van and an 18-wheel truck and accelerates with constant acceleration along the ramp and onto the freeway. The car starts from rest, moves in a straight line, and has a speed of 17.0 m/s when it reaches the end of the ramp, which has length 117 m .

1) What is the acceleration of the car?
2) How much time does it take the car to travel the length of the ramp?
3) The traffic on the freeway is moving at a constant speed of 17.0 m/s . What distance does the traffic travel while the car is moving the length of the ramp?

Known:
-Vo = 0 (since the car starts from rest)
-Speed = 17.0 m/s
-Distance = 117m

Homework Equations

speed = distance traveled / time
v(t) = vot + at
x(t) = xo + vot + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

1) My attempt at finding the acceleration of the car was figuring out the speed is distance traveled divided by time. So in order to find the time it took for the car to reach the end of the ramp I did:

17 = 117 / time
17 * time = 117
time = 117 / 17 = 6.8826

Then I plugged the time I found into the equation v(t) = vot + at2:

v(6.8826) = 0(6.8826) + a(6.8826)
17 = a(6.8826)
2.47 = a

2) What I found in question 1:
17 = 117 / time
17 * time = 117
time = 117 / 17 = 6.8826

3) I just don't know how to start it. I do think I need to use the position equation.

Both my answers for number 1 and 2 are wrong and I think I'm just not using the right formulas or thinking about this equation correctly. Thanks in advance for any help that I may receive!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oliampian said:

Homework Statement

A car sits in an entrance ramp to a freeway, waiting for a break in the traffic. The driver sees a small gap between a van and an 18-wheel truck and accelerates with constant acceleration along the ramp and onto the freeway. The car starts from rest, moves in a straight line, and has a speed of 17.0 m/s when it reaches the end of the ramp, which has length 117 m .

3) The traffic on the freeway is moving at a constant speed of 17.0 m/s . What distance does the traffic travel while the car is moving the length of the ramp?

Known:
-Speed = 17.0 m/s
-Distance = 117m

Homework Equations

v(t) = vot + at2
x(t) = xo + vot + 1/2at2
The second "relevant equation" (the one for v(t)) is not correct.
oliampian said:

1) My attempt at finding the acceleration of the car was figuring out the speed is distance traveled divided by time. So in order to find the time it took for the car to reach the end of the ramp I did:

17 = 117 / time
17 * time = 117
time = 117 / 17 = 6.8826
Here you assume that the speed was 17 m/s all the time. That is not correct. 17 m/s is the speed at the end of the ramp.

Look up the correct equation for v(t). That's the equation where you can plug in the 17 m/s.
This, together with the equation for x(t) will give you a and the time for the car to arrive at the end of the ramp.
oliampian said:

v(6.8826) = 0(6.8826) + a(6.8826)2
17 = a(6.8826)2
17 = a(47.3661)
0.3589 = a

17 = 117 / time
17 * time = 117
time = 117 / 17 = 6.8826

3) I just don't know how to start it. I do think I need to use the position equation.

Both my answers for number 1 and 2 are wrong and I think I'm just not using the right formulas or thinking about this equation correctly. Thanks in advance for any help that I may receive!

oliampian said:

Homework Statement

Known:
-Speed = 17.0 m/s
-Distance = 117m

Homework Equations

v(t) = vot + at2
x(t) = xo + vot + 1/2at2

17 = 117 / time
17 * time = 117
time = 117 / 17 = 6.8826
Please show units for all your calculation results.

Why did you use speed = distance / time? You were told that the car is accelerating while trying to get into traffic.

v(6.8826) = 0(6.8826) + a(6.8826)2
17 = a(6.8826)2
17 = a(47.3661)
0.3589 = a

17 = 117 / time
17 * time = 117
time = 117 / 17 = 6.8826
You laid out the values for the variables for the right equation in the OP, then you picked the wrong motion equation to find the time required to accelerate up the ramp.

The equation speed = distance / time does not work when acceleration is involved. Speed (velocity) is constantly changing with constant acceleration.
There should be no great mystery here. The traffic on the freeway is traveling at a constant velocity. All you need to calculate distance traveled is to find the correct time it took the car on the ramp to accelerate to 17.0 m/s

SteamKing said:
Please show units for all your calculation results.

Why did you use speed = distance / time? You were told that the car is accelerating while trying to get into traffic.

You laid out the values for the variables for the right equation in the OP, then you picked the wrong motion equation to find the time required to accelerate up the ramp.

The equation speed = distance / time does not work when acceleration is involved. Speed (velocity) is constantly changing with constant acceleration.

There should be no great mystery here. The traffic on the freeway is traveling at a constant velocity. All you need to calculate distance traveled is to find the correct time it took the car on the ramp to accelerate to 17.0 m/s

Oh I get it! The equation I should be using is v2 = Vo2 + 2a(x-xo)
Then just plugging in the values given would be:
(17m/s)2 = 0 + 2a(117m)
-algebra stuff-
a = 1.24 m/s2

Then to find time I would use
x(t) = xo + vot + 1/2at2
117m = 0 + 0 + 1/2(1.24m/s2)t2
-algebra stuff-
t = 13.8 s

Then for the last part constant velocity means there's no acceleration? So then I would use x(t) = xo + vot + 1/2at2 again?
x(13.8) = 0 + 17.0 m/s * (13.8 s) + 0
x(13.8) = 234.6 m ... 235m?

oliampian said:
Oh I get it! The equation I should be using is v2 = Vo2 + 2a(x-xo)
Then just plugging in the values given would be:
(17m/s)2 = 0 + 2a(117m)
-algebra stuff-
a = 1.24 m/s2

Then to find time I would use
x(t) = xo + vot + 1/2at2
117m = 0 + 0 + 1/2(1.24m/s2)t2
-algebra stuff-
t = 13.8 s

Then for the last part constant velocity means there's no acceleration? So then I would use x(t) = xo + vot + 1/2at2 again?
x(13.8) = 0 + 17.0 m/s * (13.8 s) + 0
x(13.8) = 234.6 m ... 235m?
Is correct. Your last answer has an error due to rounding: the exact answer is 234 m.

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is typically represented as a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude (speed) and direction (e.g. north, east, etc.). The SI unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is: velocity = distance/time. For example, if a car travels 100 meters in 10 seconds, its velocity would be 10 m/s.

What is the equation for time?

Time is a measure of the duration of an event or the interval between two events. In physics, time is typically represented by the variable "t" and its SI unit is seconds (s). The equation for time is: time = distance/velocity.

How do you find distance?

Distance is the amount of space between two points. In physics, it is typically represented by the variable "d" and its SI unit is meters (m). Distance can be calculated by multiplying velocity by time. The formula for distance is: distance = velocity x time. For example, if a car travels at a velocity of 10 m/s for 5 seconds, the total distance it travels would be 50 meters.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total change in position divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time. In other words, average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity shows the object's velocity at a specific point in time.