Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Wavefunction with just the Hamiltonian

1. May 15, 2015 #1
    Say I have a wavefunction that's a superposition of two-particle states:
    [tex] \Psi = \int dk ~f(k) c^{\dagger}_k c^{\dagger}_{-k} | 0 \rangle [/tex]
    Here, ##|0\rangle## is the vacuum and ##c^{\dagger}_k c^{\dagger}_{-k} | 0 \rangle## represents a pair of fermions with momenta ##k,-k##. My goal is to solve for the coefficients ##f(k)## that determine the weight of each two-particle state in the superposition. Presumably, I could do this by computing
    [tex] f(k) = \langle c_{-k}c_k | \Psi \rangle [/tex]
    However, I don't know what ##\Psi## is. I do know the form of the Hamiltonian for this system, though. Is it possible to find ##\Psi## if I only know the Hamiltonian ##H## and the form of the basis states ##c^{\dagger}_k c^{\dagger}_{-k} | 0 \rangle##? Thanks in advance! :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2015 #2
    No, it's not possible without more information. There are infinite possibilities for ##f(k)## and each possibility corresponds to a different state.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook