Finding Wavelength of Incident Radiation on H-Atom

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 5K views
Saitama
Messages
4,244
Reaction score
93

Homework Statement


Monochromatic radiation of specific wavelength is incident on H-atom in ground state. H-atom absorbs energy and emit subsequently radiations of six different wavelength. Find wavelength of the incident radiation.
(a)9.75 nm
(b)50 nm
(c)85.5 nm
(d)97.25


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]\frac{hc}{\lambda}=\frac{hc}{\lambda_1}+\frac{hc}{\lambda_2}+\frac{hc}{\lambda_3}+\frac{hc}{\lambda_4}+\frac{hc}{\lambda_5}+\frac{hc}{\lambda_6}[/tex]
I canceled out hc on both the sides but then got stuck. I don't understand what to do next?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pmsrw3 said:
Use the Rydberg formula.

How can i use the Rydberg formula here?
 
Pranav-Arora said:
How can i use the Rydberg formula here?
Well, it's an H atom, right? So the wavelengths it can absorb and the wavelengths it can emit are determined by the Rydberg formula.

Suppose I gave you an H atom in the n=3 state. How many different wavelengths could it emit on its way back to n=1?

By the way, I think the original question is a little unclear. I don't think it is intended to imply that a SINGLE H atom emits six different wavelengths. I think what is meant is that if you illuminate a lot of H atoms with the incident wavelength (or illuminate one atom many many times) and look at everything that comes out, you will see six different wavelengths.
 
pmsrw3 said:
Suppose I gave you an H atom in the n=3 state. How many different wavelengths could it emit on its way back to n=1?

I get three different wavelengths.
 
Pranav-Arora said:
I get three different wavelengths.
Right. So, what state would the H atom have to go into to subsequently emit 6 different wavelengths?
 
pmsrw3 said:
Right. So, what state would the H atom have to go into to subsequently emit 6 different wavelengths?

Is it 4?
 
I have found my answer, sorry for the disturbance. :smile:
 
pmsrw3 said:
Well, it's an H atom, right? So the wavelengths it can absorb and the wavelengths it can emit are determined by the Rydberg formula.

A side question here, If I have an atom that is not hydrogenic, how do I find this wavelength?

Thanks
 
brocq_18 said:
A side question here, If I have an atom that is not hydrogenic, how do I find this wavelength?
It's very, very hard. Like quantum mechanics and supercomputers hard.