1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavelength for highest radiation per unit wavelength

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At what wavelength does a cavity at 6000 degrees Kelvin radiate most per unit wavelength?

2. Relevant equations
    $$\rho_T(\lambda)d\lambda=\frac{8\pi{hc}}{\lambda^5}\frac{d\lambda}{e^{{hc}/{\lambda{kT}}}-1}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm pretty new to this whole topic, so don't judge me if I'm totally off...
    First off can't the $$d\lambda$$'s cancel each other out? I'm not sure why the book I am using writes this equation like they did if they could cancel out that easily, but anyways I got rid of them because it seems to just make this more confusing for me otherwise.
    So I figured if it wants the wavelength for highest radiation (per unit wavelength), I should take the derivative of $$\rho_T(\lambda)d\lambda$$ with respect to the wavelength, and set that expression equal to zero.
    However now I am at an impasse, seeing as how solving for lambda would probably be really difficult, and I am not even sure if I am working in the correct direction. Any help would be appreciated much. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are working in the correct direction. Differentiate ##\rho_T(\lambda)## and set it equal to zero. It is hard to solve. But if you set ##x=\frac{hc}{\lambda{kT}}## and express the whole expression in terms of the dimensionless variable x you'll get a single equation for x you can solve numerically. See Wien's Displacement Law.

4. Sep 29, 2013 #3
    I actually did all that a bit ago and solved to get a wavelength of 4798 angstroms, aka blue light. Sounds about right. Then about 20 seconds ago I just realized I could have avoided that whole mess and simply used Wien's Displacement Law. Got me the same exact answer. -_- oh well

5. Sep 29, 2013 #4
    By the way, I am not new to LaTeX but how do you write an equation on this site without using the double dollar signs? Obviously "\(___\)" doesn't work...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  6. Sep 29, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use double '#' signs if you want the math to stay on the same line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted