Wavelength = deBroglie Wavelength?

In summary: Thank you very much for your help and time, I am grateful.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the retarding potential required to stop an electron of de-Broglie wavelength 0.5 nm. Two methods are proposed, one using the de-Broglie wavelength and momentum equations, and the other using energy conservation. The concept of the electron and photon having the same wavelength and energy is also discussed, with the conclusion that this only holds for massless particles and not for electrons. The relation hf=energy of electron is shown to be true, but hc/lambda is not.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the retarding potential required to stop electron of de-broglie wavelength 0.5 nm

Homework Equations

1)de-broglie wavelenght=h/momentum
2)eV=KE of electron
3)KE=p^2/2m

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above three relations is giving me an incorrect answer for V, However in the hint it is mentioned that eV=hc/lambda.
I have four problems- 1)Why are the above relations giving an incorrect answer?
2) hf is the energy of a photon, can we use the same expression for an electron?
3)if yes, How did we obtain this expression?
4)the photon is massless, so is its de-broglie wavelength infinite?
I'd be grateful for your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so I just solved this using energy conservation. Initially KE=k and and U=0, finally U=eV and KE=0. Therefore k=eV, replacing it in the expression for de-broglie wavelength, I get V=6 volts which is correct

Krushnaraj Pandya said:

Homework Statement

Find the retarding potential required to stop electron of de-broglie wavelength 0.5 nm

Homework Equations

1)de-broglie wavelenght=h/momentum
2)eV=KE of electron
3)KE=p^2/2m

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above three relations is giving me an incorrect answer for V, However in the hint it is mentioned that eV=hc/lambda.
I have four problems- 1)Why are the above relations giving an incorrect answer?
2) hf is the energy of a photon, can we use the same expression for an electron?
3) How did we obtain this expression?
4)the photon is massless, so is its de-broglie wavelength infinite?

(1) We cannnot say, since you do not show your work.
(2) Yes.
(3) Which expression do you mean? You wrote three of them.
(4) Nonsense: the de-Broglie wavelength of a photon is just the wavelength ##\lambda## of the light. Therefore, for a photon, ##p = h \lambda.##

You cannot say that ##\text{KE} = p^2/(2m)## unless you know that the electron travels at speeds considerably less than the speed of light. So, first you need to work out the electron's speed, which you can do by first finding the momentum ##p## then solving the equation
$$\frac{v}{\sqrt{1 - (v/c)^2} }= p/m.$$
So, if ##v## is no more than about 15-20% of ##c##, using the classical expression for ##\text{KE}## will be OK: the errors will be small and not very important. However, if ##v## is a significant fraction of ##c## the errors due to use of the classical vs. relativistic formula will start to matter. Actually, a good exercise is to work out the value or ##\text{KE}## both ways, using the simpler classical formulas ##p = m v## and ##\text{KE} = (1/2) m v^2## and then again using the relativistic formulas ##p = m \gamma v## and ##\text{KE} = m c^2 (\gamma - 1),## where ##\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-(v/c)^2}.##

Ray Vickson said:
(1) We cannnot say, since you do not show your work.
Here's my work- 5 x 10^(-10)=de broglie wavelength. Using DBW=h/p, we get p=h/dbw = 6.6 x 10^(-34)/5 x 10^(-10)= 1.32 x 10^(-24). Using p^2/2m=eV, we get V equal to...the correct answer. 6 V. So this was the first, lengthiest method.

Ray Vickson said:
(2) Yes.
(3) Which expression do you mean? You wrote three of them.
I meant, if the DBW of an electron is R, how can we write its energy as hc/R. (How did we obtain this expression?)
Also, does this mean I can write hc/R=1/2mv^2 ?
Ray Vickson said:
Therefore, for a photon, p=hλ.p=hλ.p = h \lambda.
shouldn't this be h/lambda instead of h into lambda?

The second easier method was energy conservation in post #2 and if I understand correctly, I can solve easily by using hc/lambda =eV also.

Sorry for the late reply, I wanted to understand things properly and then respond accordingly. Thank you for taking the time to help me :D

Ray Vickson said:
(2) Yes.
This implies an electron and a photon propagating in the form of a wave with same wavelength have equal energy but I found they have equal momentum instead, what's wrong here?

There definitely is something wrong, I now understand that since p=h/lambda they have equal momentum for equal wavelengths. However we cannot say they have equal energy (i.e, energy for electron=hf is not valid) I do not know why it is not valid though

The relationship between the frequency and the wavelength of an electron is not ##\lambda f = c##.

Orodruin said:
The relationship between the frequency and the wavelength of an electron is not ##\lambda f = c##.
Surprising. I thought that relationship was universal.

To what extent is the relation true? and why not for an electron?

It only holds for massless particles. The universal statement is ##\lambda f = v_p##, where ##v_p## is the phase velocity. The phase velocity for massive particles is not the speed of light.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
Oh! alright, then the relation hf=energy of electron is true but hc/lambda is not. Interesting.

Thank you :D

1. What is the deBroglie wavelength?

The deBroglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a particle, such as an electron, in motion. It is named after physicist Louis de Broglie, who proposed that particles can exhibit wave-like properties.

2. How is the deBroglie wavelength calculated?

The deBroglie wavelength can be calculated using the equation: λ = h / p, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, and p is the momentum of the particle.

3. What is the significance of the deBroglie wavelength?

The deBroglie wavelength is significant because it provides a way to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It helps to explain phenomena such as wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle.

4. How does the deBroglie wavelength relate to the speed of a particle?

The deBroglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the speed of a particle. This means that as the speed of a particle increases, its deBroglie wavelength decreases.

5. Can the deBroglie wavelength be observed?

No, the deBroglie wavelength is a theoretical concept and cannot be directly observed. However, its effects can be observed in certain experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrate the wave-like behavior of particles.