Finding when speed equals 10 m/s for particle with velocity v=(5.9t-4.1t²)i+8.7j

  • Thread starter Thread starter tjbateh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Particle Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 13K views
tjbateh
Messages
86
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The velocity v of a particle moving in the xy plane is given by v= (5.9 t - 4.1 t2)i + 8.7j, with v in meters per second and t (> 0) in seconds. (a) What is the acceleration when t = 3.7 s? (b) When (if ever) is the acceleration zero? (c) When (if ever) does the speed equal 10 m/s?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Part A is -24.44 i + 0 j m/s2

Part B is .7195 seconds.

How do I find part C?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That makes sense, but how do I set that equation up. I am confused with the "t" being in the and the "t^2"?
 
tjbateh said:
That makes sense, but how do I set that equation up. I am confused with the "t" being in the and the "t^2"?

the 'y' term is a constant, so you can square both sides of the equation and then make the 'x2' the subject and then take the square root of both sides, then solve. (I hope you understood what I meant)
 
No, I'm sorry, It's just not making sense to me. So (5.9t-4.1t^2)^2??
 
tjbateh said:
No, I'm sorry, It's just not making sense to me. So (5.9t-4.1t^2)^2??

ok we'd get


[tex]10=\sqrt{(5.9t-4.1t^2)^2 +(8.7)^2}[/tex]


so if you square both sides you get rid of the square root sign. Then rearrange and make (5.9t-4.1t^2)2 the subject and take the square root of both sides now.