Finding work from an inclined plane, basic question

In summary, the mass, acceleration, and distance of a green toy car accelerating down a ramp are given, along with the force of friction acting on the car. The formula W=Fd is used to calculate the work done on the car, but the calculated value is incorrect. After realizing that net force must be considered, the correct answer of 13.3 J is obtained.
Curious&TheNon
A 1.54 kg green toy car accelerates at 1.70 m/s² down a ramp 3.38 m long. If the force of friction acting on the toy car is 1.31 N, how much work is done on the toy car to get it to the bottom of the ramp?

Formulas:
Ep=mgh
W=fd
F=ma
a=gh/d
Fr=u*Fn

I know the acceleration, mass, and distance. Using the formulas Ep=Fd I can do 1.54 * 1.7 * 3.38 which is 8.848 J but it isn't correct. I also tried finding the height of the ramp by using the formula a= gh/d and by getting height i can use the formula Ep= mgh but still 8.84. The right answer is 13.3 J but i don't see how. Help? please as soon as possible thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind totally forgot about net force! Problem solved (:

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is at an angle to the horizontal. It is typically used to make it easier to move objects up or down a slope by reducing the amount of force needed.

2. How does an inclined plane help with finding work?

An inclined plane can help with finding work by reducing the amount of force needed to lift or move objects. This makes it easier to perform tasks and can save time and effort.

3. What are some common examples of inclined planes?

Some common examples of inclined planes include ramps, slides, and staircases. Other examples include conveyor belts, wheelchair ramps, and even some playground equipment.

4. What is the formula for calculating work on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating work on an inclined plane is W = Fd cosθ, where W is work, F is the force applied, d is the distance the object is moved, and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

5. How does the angle of an inclined plane affect the amount of work needed?

The angle of an inclined plane directly affects the amount of work needed. As the angle increases, the amount of work needed decreases. This is because the higher the angle, the longer the distance the object will travel along the inclined plane, which reduces the amount of force needed to move it.