Finding X and Y Components of a Vector

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the x and y components for two given vectors with magnitudes and angles. The speaker is having trouble using trigonometric equations to solve the problem, and is confused about how to handle angles larger than 90 degrees. They eventually figure out that the angle of 260 degrees falls into the third quadrant, and use this information to simplify their approach. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing gratitude for the explanation.
PonyGirl
Find the x and y components for the given vectors below.

Magnitude: 318, Angle: 260 degrees

Magnitude: 140, Angle 180 degrees

No units were specified.

I tried using trigonometric equations to figure them out, but it isn't working so far. What am I doing wrong? For instance, I used cos(260)*318 to get the x component, but Webassign said I was incorrect. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
PonyGirl said:
Find the x and y components for the given vectors below.

Magnitude: 318, Angle: 260 degrees

Magnitude: 140, Angle 180 degrees

No units were specified.

I tried using trigonometric equations to figure them out, but it isn't working so far. What am I doing wrong? For instance, I used cos(260)*318 to get the x component, but Webassign said I was incorrect. Please help me!

Which quadrant is the angle 260 degrees in? Why does that matter?

Yes, I'm sure it does matter, but this is why I'm confused. We've never dealt with angles larger than ninety degrees in class and yet, we are expected to know how to do this. I started by subtracting the 260 from 360 and I got 100 degrees. So, I used that angle and divided the resulting triangle in half so I could have two right triangles.

Each triangle had a ninety degree angle, a fifty degree angle (100/2), and a forty degree angle (180-90-50). Since the hypotenuse/magnitude was 318, I divided that by two to get the x components of both triangles... And that's where I got confused. I'm completely lost. Sorry I can't explain myself very well. There wasn't much instruction other than what I gave beforehand.

Here's a simpler way to go about it. We know the angle is 260 right? It would fall into the third quadrant. 90 degrees in each quadrant. There is 180 in the first 2, and 260 -180 = the angle into the third quadrant.

Ohhhh! Okay! That helps a lot; I've never heard this sort of problem explained like that, but it made it much easier to see the problem visually. Thanks bunches!

What is a vector and how is it represented?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector.

What are the X and Y components of a vector?

The X and Y components of a vector are the horizontal and vertical parts of the vector, respectively. They are the projections of the vector onto the X and Y axes of a coordinate system.

How do you find the X and Y components of a vector?

To find the X and Y components of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions. The X component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the X axis. The Y component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle between the vector and the Y axis.

What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used to find the magnitude of a vector?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In the context of finding the magnitude of a vector, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the length of the vector by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the X and Y components of the vector.

How can you use vector addition to find the resultant of multiple vectors?

To find the resultant of multiple vectors, you can use vector addition. This involves adding the X and Y components of each vector separately, resulting in the X and Y components of the resultant vector. The magnitude and direction of the resultant vector can then be found using the methods mentioned above.