1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding X and Y with respect to third variable if having two sets of X and Y

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    My problem

At temperature 5 degrees the Y=1.00228594 for X=435 and Y=1.000986038 for X=449 and Y=0.999760292 for X=463

At temperature 7 degrees the Y=1.002094781 for X=435 and Y=1.00079709 for X=449 and Y=0.999573015 for X =463

For a new temperature of 9.6 degrees how to find the Y values for different X values

I find a polynomial eqn for the first set of X and Y values , then I find a polynomial eqn for the second set of X and Y values in excel. How can i find a polynomial for a different temp in excel

help me out

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2
    I am not sure I follow when you say you find a polynomial for the first set...

What's Y? What's X? Are they independent from each other? Is temperature the only independent variable?

I think all you need to do is find a curve fit for Y alone based on T, and then you find a curve fit for X based on T; then, you will have two curves, functions Y(T) and X(T).

So, just because you name Y Y and X X does not mean they should be your X,Y coordinates.

So, maybe you need to think of your Y as Y1 and your X as Y2 and your T as X and so you will have Y1(X) and Y2(X)

does this help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook