Finding z bounds for tetrahedron volume with triple integral

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
reddawg
Messages
46
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Set up an integral to find the volume of the tetrahedron with vertices
(0,0,0), (2,1,0), (0,2,0), (0,0,3).

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


My method of solving this involves using a triple integral. The first step is deciding on the bounds of the triple integral. If you can envision the tetrahedron in the x, y, z plane:

The base of the tetrahedron has equations: y = x/2 and y = (4-x)/2

I know the bounds for x and y:

x goes from 0 to 2
y goes from (x/2) to (4-x)/2

How do I find the bounds for z? I need an equation relating z to x and y. . .
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out. I had to find the equation of the slanted plane by taking the cross product of two points getting the normal.

Problem solved.