Volume of a tetrahedron by Triple Integral

In summary: It's the same idea in 3D. If you are going to do the inner integral in the ##z## direction first, you go from ##z## on the bottom surface (the xy plane) to ##z## on the top surface (the plane). Once you have done that you will have an xy integral and you can look at the triangle in the xy plane for the limits, just as you would do in 2D.If you wanted to go in the x direction first for some reason, you would go from x on the back surface to x on the front surface then look in the yz plane for the dydz limits. got it thanx.
faiz4000

Homework Statement

By using triple integral, find the volume of the tetrahedron bounded by the coordinate planes and the plane 2x+3y+2z=6.

Homework Equations

Volume= ∫vdv=∫∫∫dxdydz

The Attempt at a Solution

find intercepts of the plane on the axes,
x-intercept=3
y-intercept=2
z-intercept=3then i don't know how to get limits of integration in the formula

Physics news on Phys.org
faiz4000 said:

Homework Statement

By using triple integral, find the volume of the tetrahedron bounded by the coordinate planes and the plane 2x+3y+2z=6.

Homework Equations

Volume= ∫vdv=∫∫∫dxdydz

The Attempt at a Solution

find intercepts of the plane on the axes,
x-intercept=3
y-intercept=2
z-intercept=3

then i don't know how to get limits of integration in the formula

Draw a picture of the plane in the first octant by joining those 3 points. Then use that picture for the limits.

Yes i get that. If I were finding the area of in 2D, i would draw lines parallel to x or y-axis and find the curves between which they lie. These would be the limits of inner integral. then i find the lowest and highest value of the outer integral and that becomes the limits for it... but in 3D i would have to draw planes parallel to say xy plane...but don't know which curves they lie between.

Attachments

• CAM00251.jpg
    CAM00251.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 490
faiz4000 said:
Yes i get that. If I were finding the area of in 2D, i would draw lines parallel to x or y-axis and find the curves between which they lie. These would be the limits of inner integral. then i find the lowest and highest value of the outer integral and that becomes the limits for it... but in 3D i would have to draw planes parallel to say xy plane...but don't know which curves they lie between.

It's the same idea in 3D. If you are going to do the inner integral in the ##z## direction first, you go from ##z## on the bottom surface (the xy plane) to ##z## on the top surface (the plane). Once you have done that you will have an xy integral and you can look at the triangle in the xy plane for the limits, just as you would do in 2D.

If you wanted to go in the x direction first for some reason, you would go from x on the back surface to x on the front surface then look in the yz plane for the dydz limits.

got it thanx.

1. What is a tetrahedron?

A tetrahedron is a three-dimensional geometric shape with four triangular faces, six edges, and four vertices. It is also known as a triangular pyramid.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a tetrahedron?

The volume of a tetrahedron can be calculated using the formula V = (1/3) * A * h, where A is the area of the base and h is the height of the tetrahedron.

3. What is the triple integral?

The triple integral is a type of integral used in multivariable calculus to calculate the signed volume of a three-dimensional region in space. It is represented by three nested integrals, with each integral representing a different coordinate axis.

4. How is the triple integral used to find the volume of a tetrahedron?

To find the volume of a tetrahedron using the triple integral, the region of integration is set up as a three-dimensional shape with boundaries defined by the coordinates of the vertices of the tetrahedron. The integrand is set to 1, and the triple integral is evaluated over the region to find the volume.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the volume of a tetrahedron using triple integrals?

Calculating the volume of a tetrahedron using triple integrals has many practical applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it can be used to determine the volume of a solid object or the displacement of a fluid in a container. It can also be used to calculate the moment of inertia of a rigid body.