1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upper and lower bounds of a triple integral

1. Apr 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##T \subset R^3## be a set delimited by the coordinate planes and the surfaces ##y = \sqrt{x}## and ##z = 1-y## in the first octant.

Write the intgeral
    [tex]
    \iiint_T f(x,y,z)dV
    [/tex]
    as iterated integrals in at least 3 different ways.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    \iiint_T f(x,y,z)dV = \int_a^b \int_{y_1 (x)}^{y_2 (x)} \int_{z_1 (x,y)}^{z_2 (x,y)} f(x,y,z) dx dy dz
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My interpretation of this problem is that they want me to "simply" find out the upper and lower bounds of integration for 3 different cases, since there is no specific function to integrate.

This is a bit difficult to explain, since I can't show you a picture of the volume because I can't seem to be able to draw the ##y = \sqrt{x}## correctly in Matlab using this code:

syms x y z

f(x,z) = sqrt(x);
    g(x,y) = 1 - y;

hold on
    xlabel('x')
    ylabel('y')
    zlabel('z')
    axis equal

ezsurf(f,0:1);
    ezsurf(g,0:1)

Anyways, I'm having trouble seeing what the upper bounds are for the innermost iteration, whichever way I try and integrate this thing. For example, if I were to integrate first with respect to y, then x and finally z, I would write:
    [tex]
    \int_0^1 \int_{0}^{(-z+1)^2} \int_{0}^{?} f(x,y,z) dy dx dz
    [/tex]
    Just looking at the horrible picture that I drew on paper (which kind of looks like a tetrahedron cut off by the ##\sqrt{x}##-surface) is not helping. Does anybody have any hints on where to start. My brain is telling me that ##?## should be a plane of some sort, but the fact that it's cut off by the ##\sqrt{x}## is really throwing me off.

EDIT: The shape is simple (as in x-, y- and z-simple) in all 3 dimensions, so I was able to print out the projections to the different coordinate planes:

y(x):

H5_4yx.JPG

z(y)

H5_4zy.JPG

x(z):

H5_4zx.JPG

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2016 #2
    After thinking about this for a bit I think this might be the correct answer for the case ##dy dx dz##:
    [tex]
    \int_0^1 \int_{0}^{(1-z)^2} \int_{\sqrt{x}}^{1} f(x,y,z) dy dx dz
    [/tex]
    I'm saying this, because
    \begin{cases}

y = \sqrt{x} \iff x = y^2\\
    y+z = 1 \iff z = 1- \sqrt{x} \iff x = (1-z)^2
    \end{cases}

How does this look?

4. Apr 15, 2016 #3
    Using the same logic as above for two other cases:

##dxdydz##:

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{1-z} \int_{0}^{y^2}f(x,y,z) dxdydz[/tex]
    and ##dzdxdy##:
    [tex]\int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{y^2} \int_{0}^{1-y} f(x,y,z) dzdxdy[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted