Fine-tuned Universe; let's find out

• Thread starter SeriousQuest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "fine-tuned" universe, where the conditions necessary for life to exist can only occur if certain physical constants are within a narrow range. The sources provided include a Wikipedia article and a PBS blog post, both of which mention the idea of a "critical density" being a key factor in this argument. The conversation also mentions a retired math/physics teacher who may be able to provide further explanations and calculations on the topic. However, the thread is ultimately closed and deleted due to the sources not meeting the forum's rules and guidelines.
SeriousQuest
Last time I made a forum it was closed because I didn't site the information.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe
2. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/blog/2012/03/is-the-universe-fine-tuned-for-life/

There's my 2 sources.

1. *In the 1st source I find this "The fine-tuned Universe is the proposition that the conditions that allow life in the Universe can only occur when certain universal fundamental physical constants lie within a very narrow range, so that if any of several fundamental constants were only slightly different, the Universe would be unlikely to be conducive to the establishment and development of matter, astronomical structures, elemental diversity, or life as it is presently understood."

2. *In the 2nd source I find this "Another interesting example of a finely-tuned initial condition is the critical density of the universe. In order to evolve in a life-sustaining manner, the universe must have maintained an extremely precise overall density. The precision of density must have been so great that a change of one part in 10^15 (i.e. 0.0000000000001%) would have resulted in a collapse, or big crunch, occurring far too early for life to have developed, or there would have been an expansion so rapid that no stars, galaxies or life could have formed. This degree of precision would be like a blindfolded man choosing a single lucky penny in a pile large enough to pay off the United States’ national debt."

[My question is simple. How do they know if the critical density of the universe was off by 1 in 10^15 (that's 1 in 10000000000000000) the universe would have collapsed or expanded to rapid for stars/galaxies to form?]

I've been asking this question around school (I'm a teen so I still go to high school) I asked a few of my teachers that told me they don't know, then I asked one of my teachers that I thought would have no clue on the issue, and I was right she didn't, but she told me that she knew a retired math/physics teacher that would probably know. We ended up calling him the next day and he did know a lot about it. He said it would be hard to explain the math over the phone but on Tuesday he would come over after school and explain how they know if certain constants were off just slightly life would be impossible.

I'm going to come up with a list of questions to ask him.

My first question with be the same question I'm asking you guys right now.

1. How do they determine if *insert constant* varies *insert amount* life would be impossible.

Any other questions you want me to ask I will write down and on Tuesday after are meeting I will respond on this form. So ask away, he seems like a very intelligent person.

Space news on Phys.org
Those aren't very good sources. I would have thought that after getting three of your threads deleted, you would have realized that you should take a look at our rules. It's possible that some of the articles referenced in the Wikipedia article are good sources, but if you want to discuss a topic like this here, you can't be so lazy that you don't even look into that yourself.

Closed for moderation.

The first link to wikipedia lists that this argument is used by proponents of intelligent design and religious arguments for a god. The second is a blog. You already know that these are not acceptable.

This thread will be deleted shortly.

Even though this thread is closed, I'm going to suggest that the PBS link given in the first post might lead to what the OP is looking for. At the bottom of that page is a link to an article by Victor Stenger that contains what looks like references to some of the original claims of "fine-tuned" constants. Following those references might turn up details of the calculations involved.

Thank you for providing sources for your information. As a scientist, it is important to always cite our sources and provide evidence for our claims. The concept of a fine-tuned universe is an intriguing one and has been a topic of debate and study among scientists for many years.

To answer your question about how scientists determine the effects of slight variations in fundamental constants, it involves complex mathematical equations and simulations. Scientists use computer models and simulations to test different variations of these constants and observe the effects on the universe. This process requires a deep understanding of physics and mathematics, and it is constantly being refined and improved as our knowledge and technology advances.

As for other questions to ask your retired math/physics teacher, here are a few suggestions:
1. How do scientists determine the initial conditions of the universe and how do they affect the development of life?
2. Can you explain the concept of the Anthropic Principle and its role in the discussion of a fine-tuned universe?
3. How do scientists account for the possibility of multiple universes and how does it impact the idea of a fine-tuned universe?
4. Can you discuss any current research or theories related to the fine-tuning of the universe and its implications for the existence of life?
5. How do scientists address criticisms or alternative explanations for the apparent fine-tuning of the universe?
6. How has the concept of a fine-tuned universe evolved over time, and what are some of the major debates or controversies surrounding it?

I hope your meeting with your teacher is informative and enlightening. It's great that you are seeking out answers and learning more about this fascinating topic. Keep asking questions and exploring the wonders of our universe.

1. What is the "Fine-tuned Universe" theory?

The Fine-tuned Universe theory suggests that the fundamental physical constants and laws of the universe are precisely calibrated in a way that allows for the existence of life. In other words, if any of these constants were even slightly different, life as we know it would not be possible.

2. What evidence supports the Fine-tuned Universe theory?

There are several lines of evidence that support the Fine-tuned Universe theory, including the incredible complexity and diversity of life on Earth, the existence of stable and habitable planets, and the precise balance of forces that allow for the formation of stars and galaxies. Additionally, the discovery of the "anthropic principle" which states that the universe must be compatible with the existence of observers, also supports this theory.

3. What are the implications of the Fine-tuned Universe theory?

The Fine-tuned Universe theory has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It suggests that the existence of intelligent life is not a random occurrence, but rather a result of the precise conditions and parameters of the universe. This has led some to argue for the existence of a higher power or intelligent designer.

4. Is there any opposition to the Fine-tuned Universe theory?

While the Fine-tuned Universe theory has gained significant support among scientists, there are some who oppose it. Some argue that the apparent fine-tuning of the universe is simply a result of the laws of physics and the evolutionary process. Others suggest that the theory is based on the assumption that life can only exist in the conditions we currently observe, which may not be the case.

5. How does the Fine-tuned Universe theory impact our understanding of the origin of the universe?

The Fine-tuned Universe theory has significant implications for our understanding of the origin of the universe. It suggests that the conditions necessary for the existence of life were present from the very beginning, which raises questions about how and why the universe came to be in its current state. This has led to the development of other theories, such as the multiverse theory, to try to explain the fine-tuning of the universe.