Is the universe fine tuned for life

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of a fine-tuned universe and its probability of supporting life. It mentions the possibility of a universe that is not conducive to life and the idea of panspermia, as well as the belief that life is fine-tuned for its specific environment. The issue of whether or not a recycling universe would produce the same results every cycle is also brought up.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
From this link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe

It seems that it is, what is the probability for such a universe?, has it gone through many iterations to come to be able to support life,? or was it a that life can be able to flourish or adapt to manifold of universes , for example a radiation universe

If, for example, the strong nuclear force were 2% stronger than it is (i.e., if the coupling constant representing its strength were 2% larger), while the other constants were left unchanged, diprotons would be stable and hydrogen would fuse into them instead of deuterium and helium.[10] This would drastically alter the physics of stars, and presumably preclude the existence of life similar to what we observe on Earth. The existence of the diproton would short-circuit the slow fusion of hydrogen into deuterium. Hydrogen would fuse so easily that it is likely that all of the Universe's hydrogen would be consumed in the first few minutes after the Big Bang.[10] However, some of the fundamental constants describe the properties of the unstable strange, charmed, bottom and top quarks and mu and tau leptons that seem to play little part in the Universe or the structure of matter

Could a universe form just to support extremophilc bacteria?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinococcus_radiodurans
Deinococcus radiodurans is an extremophilicbacterium, one of the most radiation-resistant organisms known. It can survive cold, dehydration, vacuum, and acid, and is therefore known as a polyextremophile and has been listed as the world's toughest bacterium in The Guinness Book Of World Records.[1]

, vacuum, and acid, and is therefore known as a polyextremophile and has been listed as the world's toughest bacterium in The Guinness Book Of World Records.

Space news on Phys.org
This reminds me of the signature of @Ryan_m_b . Just saying.

I prefer the notion that life is fine tuned for wherever it exists.

Chronos said:

I agree. A cactus is fine tuned for a desert, and I am fine tuned for my recliner, Dr. Pepper, and Xbox.

Drakkith said:
I agree. A cactus is fine tuned for a desert, and I am fine tuned for my recliner, Dr. Pepper, and Xbox.

Drakkith, you are obviously a man of leisure, but could an Deinococcus radiodurans evolve to your status in its own environment:biggrin:

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
What, no pizza ? Your fine tuning needs some fine tuning.

Likes RooksAndBooks and PWiz
Would a recycling universe produce the same results every cycle?

wolram said:
This question doesn't really have a clear-cut answer. I would go with the "the longer the time period of the recycling universe, the higher the probability of life arising" thinking. However, the process of abiogenesis is still not very clear, and this conjecture could turn out to be wrong.

wolram said:
I agree w/ PWiz on this; no clear answer.

Since we don't even know that the universe even cycles at all, we don't know how it would act if it did. It does seem most reasonable that if the universe did cycle the laws of physics wouldn't change but that doesn't directly imply that things would turn out even close to the same. For example, maybe this is the first cycle and the next one wouldn't have the same initial conditions, whatever they were, that formed the existing universe. Maybe there wouldn't even be anything but gas or some other seemingly unlikely scenario.

From Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinococcus_radiodurans

The panspermia hypothesis, suggests that microscopic life was distributed by meteoroids, asteroids and other small Solar System bodies and that life may exist throughout the Universe.[18] It is speculated that the biochemistry of life may have begun shortly after the Big Bang, 13.8 billion years ago, during a habitableepoch when the age of the universe was only 10–17 million years.[19][20] Panspermia hypothesis answers the question as from whence life, not how life came to be; it only relocates the origin of life to a locale outside the Earth.

I would expect recycling universes based on the same physical laws would only be similar on very large scales, not in finer details. So, life might be expected to emerge once again, but, only under fairly unique circustances - which sounds suspiciously like fine tuning all over again. The problem with panspermia is it fails to answer the question, cloaking it instead in 'reasonable' doubts - like a slick attorney, or episode of ancient aliens.

phinds said:
What, no pizza ? Your fine tuning needs some fine tuning.

This proves that there is no God.

I like the theory that our Universe is the most unfavorable possible for life. That would explain a lot.

Chronos said:
That's a shallow argument that completely disregards what is being discussed. The "fine tuned universe" arguments center around the possibility of complex chemistry. We don't yet know enough about life to say precisely when it is possible, but if there's no complex chemistry at all, then there definitely won't be any life.

My point was the nature of the universe is a preexisting condition from which life, and observers, are emergent. The issue of fine tuning can logically only apply to observers.

I guess some of the constants could be different in a different Universe and yet something recognizable as a form of life would emerge anyway,just as it did in the Universe we know.
In that Universe, 'life' would also see that the prevailing conditions appear to be fine tuned for it's existence.

rootone said:
I guess some of the constants could be different in a different Universe and yet something recognizable as a form of life would emerge anyway,just as it did in the Universe we know.
In that Universe, 'life' would also see that the prevailing conditions appear to be fine tuned for it's existence.
Nope. For example, if the cosmological constant were a couple of orders of magnitude larger, then no structures at all would form. No stars, no galaxies, not even any clouds of gas. The universe would rapidly approach a state where there was no more than a single atom in each horizon volume.

Chalnoth said:
Nope. For example, if the cosmological constant were a couple of orders of magnitude larger, then no structures at all would form. No stars, no galaxies, not even any clouds of gas. The universe would rapidly approach a state where there was no more than a single atom in each horizon volume.
Sure I agree they could not be orders of magnitude different, but (just a reasonable guess), some of then could be just slightly different without this eliminating all possiblity of some kind of life, say for instance 'c' was different by less than 1%

It's possible that the universe goes through a darwinistic process, where universes that create life, create more universes. That'd be consistent with a universe that's a simulation of a higher reality.

rootone said:
Sure I agree they could not be orders of magnitude different, but (just a reasonable guess), some of then could be just slightly different without this eliminating all possiblity of some kind of life, say for instance 'c' was different by less than 1%
It depends upon what you mean by "slightly". The cosmological constant has a value of approximately ##10^{-122}## in natural units. If it instead had a value of about ##10^{-120}## (maybe slightly higher, I don't remember offhand the precise cutoff), then no structures could form.

In terms of chemistry, other constants that determine the behavior of the weak nuclear force have to be within a few percent of their current values or no heavy elements can ever form. No heavy elements means no complex chemistry.

Chalnoth said:
It depends upon what you mean by "slightly". The cosmological constant has a value of approximately ##10^{-122}## in natural units. If it instead had a value of about ##10^{-120}## (maybe slightly higher, I don't remember offhand the precise cutoff), then no structures could form.

In terms of chemistry, other constants that determine the behavior of the weak nuclear force have to be within a few percent of their current values or no heavy elements can ever form. No heavy elements means no complex chemistry.
I guess by 'slightly' I mean differences of less than an order of magnitude, but then that could still be construed as 'fine tuned'.
My point was that at least some of the constants need not be precisely what they are - which is what some people appear to think fine tuning means.
However a small difference in 'c' could result (hand wavey I know), in life emerging that is no so very different to that we know of, but with photosynthesis occurring with UV light instead of visible - or even organisms dependant on radio wavelength sources!

Last edited:
rootone said:
I guess by 'slightly' I mean differences of less than an order of magnitude, but then that could still be construed as 'fine tuned'.
My point was that at least some of the constants need not be precisely what they are - which is what some people appear to think fine tuning means.
However a small difference in 'c' could result (hand wavey I know), in life emerging that is no so very different to that we know of, but with photosynthesis occurring with UV light instead of visible - or even organisms dependant on radio wavelength sources!
When your expected range for the cosmological constant is of the order ##{-1,1}##, then a value of ##10^{-120}## vs. a value of ##10^{-122}## is an absurdly small deviation.

1. How is the universe "fine-tuned" for life?

The idea of the universe being fine-tuned for life refers to the precise physical constants and laws that allow for the existence of complex life forms like humans. These include factors such as the strength of gravity, the mass of particles, and the speed of light. If any of these were even slightly different, life as we know it would not be possible.

2. What evidence is there for the fine-tuning of the universe?

There is a significant amount of evidence for the fine-tuning of the universe. For example, the anthropic principle states that the universe must have the conditions necessary for the existence of observers, which suggests that the universe is fine-tuned for life. Additionally, scientists have calculated the probability of the universe having the precise values for these physical constants by chance, and the likelihood is incredibly low.

3. Is the fine-tuning of the universe just a coincidence?

Many scientists and philosophers argue that the fine-tuning of the universe cannot be dismissed as just a coincidence. The probability of the universe having the necessary conditions for life to exist by chance is so low that it suggests there must be some other explanation. Some theories propose a multiverse, where there are multiple universes with different physical constants, and ours just happens to be the one that allows for life.

4. How does the fine-tuning of the universe relate to the existence of a creator?

The idea of the universe being fine-tuned for life has been used as evidence for the existence of a creator or intelligent designer. This is because the precise values of these physical constants and laws are incredibly unlikely to occur by chance, leading some to believe that there must be an intelligent force behind it. However, this is a philosophical debate and not a scientific one, as it cannot be proven or disproven by scientific methods.

5. Are there any alternative explanations for the fine-tuning of the universe?

Aside from the multiverse theory, there are other alternative explanations for the fine-tuning of the universe. Some scientists propose that the physical constants may not be as fixed as we once thought and could potentially change over time. Others argue that the fine-tuning may be a result of the universe being a product of natural processes, rather than being intentionally designed. These alternative explanations are still being studied and debated in the scientific community.