Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Difference Method, Leapfrog (2,4) CFL Condition

1. Dec 30, 2012 #1
    Hi.

I'm trying to determine the CFL condition for the fourth-order leapfrog scheme. I'm finding 2 as what's published, which does not match what I'm getting.

Does anyone know where I can find a von Neumann (or Fourier) stability analysis of the leapfrog (2,4) scheme (so I can compare my work) and/or a reputable book dedicated towards von Neumann (or Fourier) stability analysis?

Thank you for your time,
    Will

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2012 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you say "your calculations", do you mean numerical experiments with a finite number of mesh points and some specific boundary conditions? Or do you mean your own attempt at a theoretical stability analysis?

If you mean numerical experiments, I would not be surprised that 2 is the limit for an infinitely large mesh. Try mesh sizes of n, 2n, 4n, 8n... for some reasonable value of n, and see what happens.

4. Dec 30, 2012 #3
    Hi AlephZero.

Thank you for the reply. No, I'm not referring to numerical experiments. I'm referring to the theoretical CFL condition and to a very basic application of von Neumann stability analysis where u^m_n = (g^m)(exp(i*xi_n*h)) and the scheme is u^(m+1)_n = u^(m-1)_n + lambda((4/3)(u^m_(n+1) - u^m_(n-1)) - (1/6)(u^m_(n+2) - u^m_(n-2)). I would prefer to determine the theoretical CFL condition, so I know what step sizes to gather my data in for preliminary confirmation of fitting the predicted with the observed and then subsequent experiments. I could just accept what's already been published, but I want to make sure I have a solid understanding of what's in front of me before I progress.

Are you implying the published CFL condition is referring to actual numerical experiments or is it theoretical?

Thank you for your time,
    Will

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook