Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Finite Difference solver for 2D Elasticity equations

1. Mar 17, 2016 #1
    Hi

I've been trying to get a simple solution to the 2D Navier-Lame equations using finite difference on a rectangular grid. I want to see the displacements, u and v, when a simple deformation is imposed - e.g. top boundary is displaced by 10%.

The equations are as follows:

\begin{eqnarray*}
    (λ+2μ)\frac{∂^2u}{∂x^2} + (λ+μ)\frac{∂^2v}{∂x∂y} + μ\frac{∂^2u}{∂y^2} = 0
    \\
    \\μ\frac{∂^2v}{∂x^2} + (λ+μ)\frac{∂^2u}{∂x∂y} + (λ+2μ)\frac{∂^2v}{∂y^2} = 0
    \end{eqnarray*}

I have tried using the Gauss-Siedel method but am not getting the expected results (which have been sovled using e.g. Mathematica/Abaqus)

Is there something else I have to consider since the two equations are coupled via the mixed partials?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2016 #2
    It will help us if you tell us in detail how you are formulating the problem.

Gauss-Siedel is an iterative method that allows us to solve a system of linear algebraic equations. The details of how you convert you system of differential equations into a system of algebraic equations are important.

4. Mar 25, 2016 #3

Twigg

Gold Member

Also, what are the wacky results? How big is your rectangular grid? What values of the Lame parameters have you tried? Can you tell us what differencing scheme you used?

5. Dec 10, 2017 #4
    Hi Smmr98 ,
    Have you sloved the 2D Navier equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted