Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Dimensional Hausdorff Topological Space

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    How do I prove that a Hausdorff topological space E is finite dimensional iff it admits a precompact neighborhood of zero?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i think you mean banach space, not hausdorff space, and then this is a well known theorem of riesz: th.5.9.4., p.109, of dieudonne's foundations of modern analysis.

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    Hi mathwonk,

I mean Hausdorff space.

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It is indeed true that a locally compact Hausdorff topological vector space E is finite dimensional.

Proof: Let K be a compact neighborhood of 0. We can assume that K is balanced. Since (1/2)K is a neighborhood of 0, there are finitely many points x1,...,xn such that

[tex]K\subseteq (x_1+\frac{1}{2}K)\cup...\cup (x_n+\frac{1}{2}K)[/tex]

Let M be the finite dimensional subspace spanned by the x1,...,xn. Then M is closed. The quotient space E/M is Hausdorff. Since [itex]K\subseteq M+\frac{1}{2}K[/itex], then [itex]\varphi(K)\subseteq \frac{1}{2}\varphi(K)[/itex]. So (by induction) [itex]\varphi(2^nK)\subseteq \varphi(K)[/itex].

K is balanced, so [itex]E=\bigcup_n 2^n K[/itex]. Thus [itex]\varphi(E)=\varphi(K)[/itex]. Thus E/M is compact. Which implies that E/M is one point. Thus E=M.

6. Apr 15, 2012 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what do you mean by zero in a topological space? oh i see micromass, you assumed he meant a vector space. the argument you gave is a variation of the argument for Riesz's theorem that I referred to. That's a nice example of extending an argument to a more general setting. I didn't know that version.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  7. Apr 17, 2012 #6
    Thank you micromass. Your proof makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook