Finite element analysis problem

In summary, a user is seeking help with modeling a plate under uniform tension using FEA techniques. The plate has a circular hole and two axes of symmetry, and the user has created a mesh based on the top right quarter of the plate. Despite having what appears to be a good mesh and sound boundary conditions, the user's results become further from the exact solution the more they refine the mesh. The stress distribution is of the correct shape but the magnitude is off, and the mesh size is not uniform. The user is using elastic quads with 2DOF and is doing a plain stress analysis. The stresses and strains are in the right ball-park but diverge from the exact solution with mesh refinement. The user is puzzled by
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello all,

I've been trying to model a plate under uniform tension using FEA techniques (in ANSYS). The plate has a circular hole in the centre, and has two axes of symmetry so I've created a mesh based upon the 'top right' quarter of the plate.

I'm pretty sure I've done everything right, the mesh looks good, my boundary conditions are sound, I think it's all good. I've constrained the base, and applied a static load to the 'top' edge. I'm solving for the local stresses (in X and Y directions) in the plate.

However, when I've run the simulation and obtained my values (which do appear to be in the right ball-park), my answers become further away from the exact solution the more I refine the mesh. I can't understand this!

In all fairness I'm really not up to speed with my FEA, any help would be a big bonus!

Cheers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
brewnog said:
answers become further away from the exact solution the more I refine the mesh.

Is there any part of the stress distribution that agrees with the exact solution? Or, is the distribution shape OK, but the magnitude off?

Is the mesh size uniform, or is variable with large cells away from the hole, and smaller cells near and around the hole?

Are the stresses off, or the strains, or both?

Are the stresses limited to the yield stress?

esults very much depends on the type of element u chose for this particular analysis...please take a look again on material library to see specific properties of the elements...like in 2D elemnts u will have to select plane stress with or without thickness ...
Selection of element then the theory of failure (according to which u see ur results) are important factors...
Most of the time DIstortion Energy Theory or MAximum Shear Stress Theory coincides with our results...

Design Needs Team Work (kashoo...Mechanical-Boy^^)

Could emphasize first on the element type ... if there is some numerical instability or locking going on the results might be going "the wrong way" with mesh refinement. Then naturally if the analysis is elastic-plastic we've got another set of issues which may cause problems.

Would think the analysis itself be ok, you only need the symmetry bcs and applied loading, so there shouldn't be anything fundamentally wrong in it.

Thanks for the replies!

My stress distribution is of the right shape, it's just the magnitude of the values which get "worse" as I refine my mesh. The mesh isn't uniform; there are smaller elements around the hole, but the further away elements aren't all that much bigger. I'm doing a plain stress analysis, because the plate is relatively thin. Both stresses and strains are in the right ball-park but as I said, they diverge from the exact solution when I refine my mesh. The stresses are not limited to the yield stress, I think this plate is going to fail anyway.

My elements are elastic quads with 2DOF.

Thanks to all!

If you're still interested ... I suppose a characteristic measure of element size could be element side / hole radius (or diameter) or element side / hole ligament ... what order is one of these in your model ? And while at it, what % from analytic is the deviation as a function of mesh refinement... These could be used to assess whether the behavior is "normal". The elastic quads in ansys are really robust as far as I know so this is actually quite interesting.

Well, I've not got the model in front of me, but I would guess that the element sides are probably to the order of 50 times smaller than the hole diameter. This isn't going to sound very technical, but when I doubled the number of elements in the mesh, the solution diverged by possibly 25% of its original value, when beforehand the solution was near enough (within a few percent) to the analytical value.

I'm pretty flummoxed, but I've got too much work on at the moment to be concentrating on this! Why do they wait until the last 6 weeks of my degree course to pile on four projects?!

brewnog said:
Well, I've not got the model in front of me, but I would guess that the element sides are probably to the order of 50 times smaller than the hole diameter. This isn't going to sound very technical, but when I doubled the number of elements in the mesh, the solution diverged by possibly 25% of its original value, when beforehand the solution was near enough (within a few percent) to the analytical value.

I'm pretty flummoxed, but I've got too much work on at the moment to be concentrating on this! Why do they wait until the last 6 weeks of my degree course to pile on four projects?!

Yeah, the piling up is one of those wonders never ceasing to amaze ...

I wouldn't have though you could find this sort of a "concentration" problem in a L-E analysis (it really shouldn't have the ability to perform such in a sound implementation) ... 1/50 of hole diameter is pretty small though (scientifical, yeah!), but still ... weird.

Ah well, as long as there's nothing obvious that I've overlooked. I had a word with the guy in charge and he pointed me in the direction of some useful library references, if I get chance to have a look I might come back and enlighten you all! But it's been bumped down the priority list one more place!

What is finite element analysis (FEA) and when is it used?

Finite element analysis (FEA) is a numerical method used to solve engineering problems. It involves dividing a complex system into smaller, simpler parts called finite elements, and then solving for the behavior of each element. FEA is used to analyze stress, strain, and deformation in various structures and systems, such as buildings, bridges, and mechanical components.

What are the steps involved in a finite element analysis problem?

The first step in a finite element analysis problem is to create a model of the system using finite elements. Next, boundary conditions and loads are applied to the model. Then, the equations governing the behavior of the system are solved using mathematical methods. Finally, the results are interpreted and used to make decisions or optimizations for the system.

What are the advantages and limitations of finite element analysis?

Some advantages of finite element analysis include the ability to analyze complex systems, the ability to account for different materials and loading conditions, and the ability to visualize the behavior of the system. However, some limitations include the need for specialized software and training, the possibility of errors in the model, and the time and computational resources required for analysis.

How accurate is finite element analysis?

The accuracy of finite element analysis depends on the quality of the model, the assumptions made, and the level of detail included in the analysis. In general, FEA can provide accurate results when the model is well-constructed and the assumptions are appropriate for the system being analyzed. However, it is always important to validate the results with physical testing when possible.

Can finite element analysis be used for all types of systems and structures?

While finite element analysis can be used for a wide range of engineering problems, it may not be suitable for all types of systems and structures. For example, FEA is not typically used for fluid dynamics problems. Additionally, the complexity of the system and the accuracy requirements may impact the feasibility of using FEA. It is important to consult with an experienced engineer to determine if FEA is the appropriate method for a particular problem.