Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Element Analysis Program

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    I am on a research project where I am finding the heat capacitance and thermal conductance of a material and would like to simulate it on a larger scale as material for heated flooring. Is there a program where I can do a looping heating pipe at a set temperature and show the conductance of the material?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You need to know the material properties in order to run most analyses. Unless you knew the resultant heat transfer or some other result, you can't back calculate the material properties. Most materials already have these parameters defined by the manufacturer. Can't you simply get in touch with whomever makes the materials you are interested in and get the data that way?

4. Feb 16, 2010 #3

minger

Science Advisor

Material properties are fundamentally an input. If you know the temperatures and geometry, can you back-calculate the material properties you desire?

5. Feb 16, 2010 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I would think you would have to iterate on the material properties until you match your current boundary conditions.

6. Feb 16, 2010 #5

minger

Science Advisor

...and not knowing k or C means iterating both in space and time. Yay!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook