Finite Universe: Light speed and the Earth's distance/time from event

In summary: So if we're not in the center, then from anywhere in the universe we could theoretically see anything that has taken place in the past.3. The universe is not the shape it seems. Your assuming the universe has non-trivial topology. This is most certainly not supported experimentally or theoretically (see Topological Censorship Conjecture).
rationalist76
This may not be the correct Forum to post this Thread, but i thought i might as well. I was just wondering: if the matter in the Universe is assumed to be 13.75 billions years old, why is it that we can witness things over 13.75 billion light years away? I came across this Wikipedia article on the Observable Universe, and i was curious how it could have occurred before the Big Bang. Because it takes the light to travel, let's say, 15 billion light years to reach our telescopes, would that not mean the event had to take place 15 billion years ago? And would that not contradict the fact that the event took place before the Big Bang? Thank you to all of the answers

Astronomy news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi rationalist76! welcome to pf! :wink:

see the cosmology faq at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506987" :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

tiny-tim said:
hi rationalist76! welcome to pf! :wink:

see the cosmology faq at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506987" :smile:

thank you! sorry, i am new and am not extremely aware as to how to find things yet, bu ti believe that will obviously help

rationalist76 said:
This may not be the correct Forum to post this Thread, but i thought i might as well. I was just wondering: if the matter in the Universe is assumed to be 13.75 billions years old, why is it that we can witness things over 13.75 billion light years away? I came across this Wikipedia article on the Observable Universe, and i was curious how it could have occurred before the Big Bang. Because it takes the light to travel, let's say, 15 billion light years to reach our telescopes, would that not mean the event had to take place 15 billion years ago? And would that not contradict the fact that the event took place before the Big Bang? Thank you to all of the answers

Since you didn't give a reference to the article, I can't comment directly. However we definitely cannot see further than the age of the universe. The only thing that might make sense is that something we see that far back in time is presumably now much further away.

rationalist76 said:

You are assuming that we are in the center of the universe. (An old mis-information.)

From the center of the universe, light/matter has been expanding for about 14 billion years.

If the expansion was consistent, that would allow for about 30 billion light years from end to end. If we were in the center, anything would about the same distance away. But there are couple of factors.

1. We are not in the center.
2. The universe is not consistent.
3. The universe is not the shape it seems. Our universe (as we perceive it) is sort of like a fried skin of a donut. Things sort of travel in loops. In other words, if you threw a ball in one direction, (given a little patience) it would come about and hit you in the back of the head. So distance can be tricky.

Lord Challen said:
2. The universe is not consistent.
3. The universe is not the shape it seems. Our universe (as we perceive it) is sort of like a fried skin of a donut. Things sort of travel in loops. In other words, if you threw a ball in one direction, (given a little patience) it would come about and hit you in the back of the head. So distance can be tricky.

Both of these statements aren't really true.

2. The universe, at a large scale is isotropic and homogenous, meaning there is no "preferred direction in space" and each point in space looks roughly like any other point. Therefore it is roughly "consistent."
3. Your assuming the universe has non-trivial topology. This is most certainly not supported experimentally or theoretically (see Topological Censorship Conjecture).

Lord Challen said:
1. We are not in the center.
This one is not true either since the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe" is light travel time).

What is a finite universe?

A finite universe is one that has a limited size or boundary. This means that it has a fixed amount of space and matter, and it is not infinite.

What is light speed?

Light speed is the maximum speed at which light can travel in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 186,282 miles per second.

How is the Earth's distance from an event calculated?

The Earth's distance from an event can be calculated using the speed of light and the amount of time it takes for light to travel from the event to the Earth. This is known as the light travel time.

How does light speed affect our perception of events in the universe?

Because the speed of light is finite, it means that we are always seeing events in the universe as they were in the past. The further away an event is, the longer it takes for light to reach us, and therefore, the further back in time we are seeing it.

Can the Earth's distance from an event affect our ability to observe it?

Yes, the Earth's distance from an event can affect our ability to observe it. If an event is too far away, the light from it may not have reached us yet, or it may be too faint to be detected by our instruments. This is why scientists use telescopes and other tools to observe events in the universe that are far away.