Fire sprinklers - residential vs. quick response

In summary, residential sprinklers are a type of fast response sprinkler, but not all fast response sprinklers are residential sprinklers. Fast response sprinklers are able to achieve a particular response when tested and have small heat sensing elements. Quick response sprinklers are a type of fast response sprinkler that can reduce the amount of water used in certain conditions. Residential sprinklers are only suitable for residential applications. The definitions for these types of sprinklers can be found in NFPA standards.
TSN79
I never really understood the difference between these two. I believe I've heard someone say that all residential sprinklers are quick respons sprinklers, but not all quick respons sprinklers are residential sprinklers. Is that accurate? Even if it is I still don't get what differs the two. Hopefully someone here can explain :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
I never really understood the difference between these two. I believe I've heard someone say that all residential sprinklers are quick respons sprinklers, but not all quick respons sprinklers are residential sprinklers. Is that accurate? Even if it is I still don't get what differs the two. Hopefully someone here can explain :)
Does the Wikipedia article help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_sprinkler

Actually, no residential sprinklers are quick response and no quick response are residential.

The definitions of Quick Response, Fast Response and Residential Sprinklers are defined in NFPA standards.

Fast response refers are able to achieve a particular response when tested in a standard test rig. They can do this because they have small heat sensing elements which react to heat quickly.

Quick response sprinklers are a type of fast response sprinklers when installed in particular conditions (e.g. maximum height from the floor, maximum spacing) can be used to reduce the amount of water the sprinkler designer needs to allow for.

Residential sprinklers are a type of fast response sprinkler only suitable for residential applications (not suitable for office, retail, industrial etc)

Likes berkeman

1. What is the difference between residential fire sprinklers and quick response fire sprinklers?

Residential fire sprinklers and quick response fire sprinklers are both types of fire sprinkler systems, but they differ in terms of their design and response time. Residential fire sprinklers are typically larger and have a slower response time, while quick response fire sprinklers are smaller and have a faster response time.

2. Are quick response fire sprinklers more effective than residential fire sprinklers?

Both types of fire sprinklers are effective at suppressing fires, but quick response fire sprinklers are designed to respond faster and can therefore help control a fire before it spreads. However, the effectiveness of a fire sprinkler system also depends on proper installation, maintenance, and the type of fire.

3. Can residential fire sprinklers be used in commercial buildings?

Yes, residential fire sprinklers can be used in commercial buildings, but they may not be as effective as quick response fire sprinklers in controlling larger fires. It is important to consult with a fire protection engineer to determine the appropriate type of fire sprinkler system for a specific building.

4. Do residential fire sprinklers cost more than quick response fire sprinklers?

The cost of a fire sprinkler system depends on various factors such as the size of the building, the type of fire sprinkler system, and installation costs. In general, quick response fire sprinkler systems may be slightly more expensive than residential fire sprinklers due to their smaller size and faster response time.

5. Are there any regulations or codes that require the use of quick response fire sprinklers in certain buildings?

Yes, there are regulations and codes that require the use of quick response fire sprinklers in certain buildings, such as high-rise buildings, healthcare facilities, and buildings with high occupancy. These regulations are in place to ensure the safety of occupants and protect property from fire damage.