Firefighter Rescues Injured Bear Cub at Moon Fire

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andre
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
Andre
Messages
4,296
Reaction score
73
Poor little thing.

http://www.redding.com/news/2008/jul/17/firefighter-rescues-tiny-injured-bear-moon-fire/

http://media.redding.com/redd/content/img/photos/2008/07/17/bearcub.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Awww... why are young animals so cute? Possums when they get older are fairly hideous but the baby ones are really cute.
 
It IS rather strange that humans find most animal babies cute.
It isn't strange that we find human babies cute (that's after all their main adaptive weapon!), but other animals' young? Very strange..

Possibly, it might be an adaptive "misfiring" in that because we have the intelligence to see that these cuties are babies, our own human-oriented baby empathy is kicked into action..
 
Maybe it's certain healthy asthetic qualities. New healthy fur/hair. Pink healthy skin. And the awkward disproportion of their bodies seems to play a role aswell.
 
Only six to eight weeks old...I hope he will be OK.

One of those fires is very near the town where I grew up, in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Such a beautiful forest - Ponderosa pine, Sugar pine, Douglas fir, Cedar.
 
But aren't awkwardness and pinkness qualities we perceive in the human baby?

As I see it, we have laid down in us the syllogism: Baby implies cutie to be protected.

This is sufficient for the protection of human babies, but that simplistic algorithm overshoots, so that whenever we identify something as a "baby", it springs into action, whether it is a human or non-human one..
 
arildno said:
But aren't awkwardness and pinkness qualities we perceive in the human baby?

As I see it, we have laid down in us the syllogism: Baby implies cutie to be protected.

This is sufficient for the protection of human babies, but that simplistic algorithm overshoots, so that whenever we identify something as a "baby", it springs into action, whether it is a human or non-human one..

Yes. I was trying to determine just what characteristics human babies and other mammal babies share that would trigger it. I don't think it is entirely psychological. There are likely certain visual/asthetic cues that evoke the psychological response.
 
I think the (over)large, open eyes is an important trigger.
 
arildno said:
I think the (over)large, open eyes is an important trigger.

Lol... yes! And the squinty scrunched up face look too!
 
Auditive triggers would be yelps, mewling and crying in a high, plaintive pitch.

Their willingness to snuggle close to someone they trust is probably important, too.
 
arildno said:
I think the (over)large, open eyes is an important trigger.

Large eyes, large cranium in relation to face, tiny nose, mouth. Large head in relation to body, fat, etc.

Probably facial relationships are the most powerful - humans are exquisitely tuned for facial recognition and subtleties.
 
arildno said:
I think the (over)large, open eyes is an important trigger.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/unusual-tales/cyclops-kitten-no-hoax/2006/01/11/1136956230663.html"
 
Last edited by a moderator: