Firefox Issues (personal, not a flaw perse)

In summary, the speaker has been using Firefox happily for a long time, but after upgrading to version 1.5 on their laptop, it can no longer access the internet. The laptop connects to the web via a wireless LAN and other programs like MSN messenger and IE also cannot access the internet. The speaker has tried a system restore and reinstalling Firefox but it hasn't worked. They suspect it could be related to ports and wonder which ones need to be open for the programs to work. They also mention that their ADSL router has been repaired, but still no programs except IE can access the internet. They are seeking help and potential solutions for this issue.
NewScientist
I have been using Firefox v happily for a long time now, however, after upgrading to Version 1.5 on my laptop it has lost the ability to access the internet!

Some additional info:
the laptop connects to the web via a wireless LAN,
firefox DOES load but displays the 'Page cannot be loaded' screen
at the time of my upgrade, I also installed MSN messenger
Also I reactivated IE

THis program too cannot access the internet - I have tried a sysem restore and uninstallation/reinstallation to no avail - any ideas?

NB - there is a high percentage chance that it could be ports related : which ports need to be open for the 2 programs to work. - OH another fact - IE still runs and can access internet.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
What kind of wireless network are you on? Ad-hoc? Or do you have a wireless router? If you have a router, get into it's settings and try restoring them to the factory default. I've had to do that a couple times after installing certain programs on my lappy.

Firefox runs on the same ports as IE(port 80). If IE is accessing webpages then your problem is elsewhere.

An update, my ADSL router which provides the broadband link has just been repaired and this has allowed me to investigate the problem more, it is now apparent NO other programs except IE can access internet!

any ideas why/any solution?

1. Why is Firefox running slow on my computer?

There could be several reasons for this. First, make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements for Firefox. Also, check if you have too many open tabs or extensions running. Clearing your browsing history and cache may also help improve speed.

2. Why does Firefox keep crashing?

This could be due to outdated or incompatible extensions or themes. Try disabling them and see if the crashing stops. You can also try resetting Firefox to its default settings, or updating to the latest version of Firefox.

3. How do I change the default search engine in Firefox?

To change the default search engine, click on the menu button in the top right corner of Firefox and select "Options". Then, go to the "Search" tab and choose your preferred search engine from the drop-down menu. You can also add more search engines by clicking on "Manage Search Engines".

4. How do I clear my browsing history in Firefox?

To clear your browsing history, click on the menu button and select "History". Then, click on "Clear Recent History". You can choose the time range for which you want to clear your history and select what data you want to clear.

5. How do I update Firefox to the latest version?

To update Firefox, click on the menu button and select "Help" and then "About Firefox". This will automatically check for updates and download the latest version if available. You can also go to the official Firefox website and download the latest version from there.