First Fundamental Form from tangent vectors

In summary: Shah states that the first fundamental form can be defined as I by taking the inner product of the two tangent vectors and that it can be written as a matrix. However, looking at the definition of the first fundamental form given by mathworld.wolfram.com, it appears that the 1 terms in the matrix should be omitted. This may be where the confusion lies.
larry_b
Hi

Appologies for formatting issues this is the first time I have submitted something to the forum.

I have a pretty simple problem, I am just going through the derivation of the First Fundamental Form and I think I am missing something in the derivation.

If we have a point x = (x1,x2) on the 2D surface ω(x) then the derivative matrix of the surface can be defined as Dω(x) = (∂ω(x)/∂x1,∂ω(x)/∂x2) which is 3x2 matrix.

| 1 0 |
| 0 1 |
| ∂ω/∂x1 ∂ω/∂x2 |

thus the first column is the partial derivative of the surface with respect to x1 and the second column is the partial derivative with respect to x2 and are thus the non unit tangent vectors.

The first fundamental form can be defined as I by taking the inner product of the two tangent vectors :
I = (Dω(x))' Dω(x).

which can be written as:
|1+(∂ω/∂x1)^2 (∂ω/∂x1)*(∂ω/∂x2) |
|(∂ω/∂x1)*(∂ω/∂x2) 1+(∂ω/∂x1)^2 |

which can be re-written as the metric tensor:

|E F|
|F G|

However looking here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FirstFundamentalForm.html

they appear to have dropped the 1 in E and G. I was just wondering where I might have gone wrong?

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
larry_b said:
Hi

Appologies for formatting issues this is the first time I have submitted something to the forum.

I have a pretty simple problem, I am just going through the derivation of the First Fundamental Form and I think I am missing something in the derivation.

If we have a point x = (x1,x2) on the 2D surface ω(x) then the derivative matrix of the surface can be defined as Dω(x) = (∂ω(x)/∂x1,∂ω(x)/∂x2) which is 3x2 matrix.

| 1 0 |
| 0 1 |
| ∂ω/∂x1 ∂ω/∂x2 |

thus the first column is the partial derivative of the surface with respect to x1 and the second column is the partial derivative with respect to x2 and are thus the non unit tangent vectors.

The first fundamental form can be defined as I by taking the inner product of the two tangent vectors :
I = (Dω(x))' Dω(x).

which can be written as:
|1+(∂ω/∂x1)^2 (∂ω/∂x1)*(∂ω/∂x2) |
|(∂ω/∂x1)*(∂ω/∂x2) 1+(∂ω/∂x1)^2 |

which can be re-written as the metric tensor:

|E F|
|F G|

However looking here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FirstFundamentalForm.html

they appear to have dropped the 1 in E and G. I was just wondering where I might have gone wrong?

Many thanks in advance

Maybe this will help. Suppose you have a non-flat 2D surface immersed in flat 3D space. Let [itex]\vec{s}[/itex] represent a position vector drawn from an arbitrary origin in flat 3D space to an arbitrary point on the 2D surface. Suppose that there is a u-v coordinate grid laid out on the 2D surface. Then [itex]\vec{s}=\vec{s}(u,v)[/itex]. Now suppose we consider two neighboring points in the surface, one at (u,v) and the other at (u+du, v+dv). The differential position vector [itex]\vec{ds}[/itex] between these points lies within the surface (i.e., is tangent to the surface), and is given by:
[tex]\vec{ds}=\vec{s}(u+du,v+dv)-\vec{s}(u,v)=\vec{a_u}du+\vec{a_v}dv[/tex]
where [itex]\vec{a_u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{a_v}[/itex] are the coordinate basis vectors, defined as
[tex]\vec{a_u}=\frac{\partial \vec{s}}{\partial u}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{a_v}=\frac{\partial \vec{s}}{\partial v}[/tex]
If we form the inner product of [itex]\vec{ds}[/itex] with itself, we obtain:
[tex]ds^2=g_{uu}du^2+2g_{uv}dudv+g_{vv}dv^2[/tex]
where [itex]g_{uu}[/itex] represents the inner product of [itex]\vec{a_u}[/itex] with itself, [itex]g_{uv}[/itex] represents the inner product of [itex]\vec{a_u}[/itex] with[itex]\vec{a_v}[/itex], and [itex]g_{vv}[/itex] represents the inner product of [itex]\vec{a_v}[/itex] with itself.

Chet

What is the First Fundamental Form from tangent vectors?

The First Fundamental Form is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to measure the curvature of a surface. It is defined by the dot product of tangent vectors on the surface and is used to calculate various geometric properties such as length and angle.

How is the First Fundamental Form calculated?

The First Fundamental Form is calculated by taking the dot product of two tangent vectors on the surface. These tangent vectors can be represented as partial derivatives of the parametric equations of the surface.

What information does the First Fundamental Form provide?

The First Fundamental Form provides information about the intrinsic geometry of a surface, such as the lengths and angles of curves and the area of a surface patch. It can also be used to calculate the Gaussian curvature and mean curvature of a surface.

How is the First Fundamental Form related to the Second Fundamental Form?

The First Fundamental Form and the Second Fundamental Form are both used in differential geometry to characterize the curvature of a surface. While the First Fundamental Form measures the curvature in terms of tangent vectors, the Second Fundamental Form measures the curvature in terms of normal vectors.

What are some real-world applications of the First Fundamental Form?

The First Fundamental Form has many practical applications, such as in computer graphics and computer-aided design, where it is used to model and analyze the curvature of surfaces. It is also used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of curved surfaces, such as in the design of bridges and buildings.