First in vitro meat served in London

• Thread starter thorium1010
  • Start date
In summary, the world's first lab-grown burger was cooked and eaten at a news conference in London on Monday. The burger was made from stem cells taken from a cow and tasted by food critics Hanni Ruetzler and Josh Schonwald. The burger was praised by some for its texture and taste, but criticized for its lack of salt and juice. Experts believe that the technology could be a sustainable way of meeting what they say is a growing demand for meat, but critics say that eating less meat would be an easier way to tackle predicted food shortages.
thorium1010
Lab grown meat, tasted in london

World's first lab grown meat eaten in London, here's the reaction -

Upon tasting the burger, Austrian food researcher Ms Ruetzler said: "I was expecting the texture to be more soft... there is quite some intense taste; it's close to meat, but it's not that juicy. The consistency is perfect, but I miss salt and pepper."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23576143

Biology news on Phys.org
A remarkable development in tissue engineering that has resulted in an edible burger grown from stem cells taken from a cow. This is very much a first prototype and the volunteers who ate it described it as neither good nor bad (unsurprising as it lacks the appropriate fat, salt and other factors). I'm very keen to see this technology take off in the next few decades not just for the environmental benefits (far less animals to contribute to greenhouse gases and far more efficient meat production) but for the potential cross-over between in-vitro food technologies and medical tissue engineering.

Food critic Hanni Ruetzler who tasted the burger: "There is quite some intense taste; it's close to meat, but it's not that juicy"

The world's first lab-grown burger was cooked and eaten at a news conference in London on Monday.

Scientists took cells from a cow and, at an institute in the Netherlands, turned them into strips of muscle that they combined to make a patty.

Researchers say the technology could be a sustainable way of meeting what they say is a growing demand for meat.

Critics say that eating less meat would be an easier way to tackle predicted food shortages.

The burger was cooked by chef Richard McGeown, from Cornwall, and tasted by food critics Hanni Ruetzler and Josh Schonwald.

Upon tasting the burger, Austrian food researcher Ms Ruetzler said: "I was expecting the texture to be more soft... there is quite some intense taste; it's close to meat, but it's not that juicy. The consistency is perfect, but I miss salt and pepper."

She added: "This is meat to me. It's not falling apart."

Food writer Mr Schonwald said: "The mouthfeel is like meat. I miss the fat, there's a leanness to it, but the general bite feels like a hamburger.

"What was consistently different was flavour."

Prof Mark Post, of Maastricht University, the scientist behind the burger, remarked: "It's a very good start."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23576143

I'd try it! I don't eat much beef anymore though.

Scientists took cells from a cow and, at an institute in the Netherlands, turned them into strips of muscle that they combined to make a patty.

Now, is that really what they mean by a Factory Farm!

So is this meat grown with fetal serum, which is normally required for mammalian cell culture?

Ryan_m_b said:
I'm very keen to see this technology take off in the next few decades not just for the environmental benefits (far less animals to contribute to greenhouse gases and far more efficient meat production)
I'm not convinced this is true: that less greenhouse gases would be produced and that it would be an efficient process of meat production (how many cows need to be impregnated and fetuses aborted for one in vitro burger?). Is there any reason that it would be, or is it just an ideal vision for the future?

Remember, algae-based diets were hyped in the 50s but today with a production cost of €250/kg dry mass they are too expensive. http://www.sciencemag.org/content/329/5993/796.full The production cost of in vitro meat is even more complicated than the algae, it faces serious challenges.

Last edited:
Monique said:
Remember, algae-based diets were hyped in the 50s but today with a production cost of €250/kg dry mass they are too expensive...The production cost of in vitro meat is even more complicated than the algae, it faces serious challenges.
Yes, the burger costs only 250,000 $ per unit. A serious challenge for sure.

1. What is in vitro meat?

In vitro meat, also known as cultured or lab-grown meat, is meat that is produced by growing animal muscle cells in a laboratory rather than from slaughtered animals. It is a form of cellular agriculture and is considered a more sustainable and ethical alternative to traditional meat production.

2. How is in vitro meat made?

In vitro meat is made by taking a small sample of animal muscle cells and placing them in a nutrient-rich environment, usually a growth medium containing sugars, amino acids, and growth factors. The cells then multiply and form muscle tissue, which is then harvested and processed into meat products.

3. Is in vitro meat safe to eat?

Yes, in vitro meat is considered safe to eat. The cells used to produce the meat are carefully monitored and grown in sterile conditions to prevent contamination. Additionally, in vitro meat does not contain any antibiotics or hormones that are commonly found in traditional meat production.

4. How does in vitro meat compare to traditional meat in terms of taste and texture?

In vitro meat is still in the early stages of development and there is ongoing research to improve its taste and texture. However, many people who have tried in vitro meat have reported that it is similar to traditional meat in taste and texture.

5. What are the potential benefits of in vitro meat?

In vitro meat has the potential to reduce the environmental impact of traditional meat production, as it requires less land, water, and energy. It also has the potential to reduce animal suffering and improve food safety by eliminating the risk of foodborne illnesses associated with traditional meat production.