First order differential equation help

• Thread starter rppearso
  • Start date
I have a problem solving a first order differential equation:

dT/dP - C2/T = C1 Where C2 and C1 are just constants, the differential equations book I have does not address the situation of 1/T. I am trying to develop my own integrating factor but it would be nice for a little guidance.

Answers and Replies

Defennder
Homework Helper
[tex]\frac{1}{T}=T^{-1}[/tex]

You can then express the above as:

[tex]\frac{dT}{dP} - C_{1} \ = C_{2}T^{-1}[/tex]

which would then be in the form of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli_differential_equation" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]\frac{1}{T}=T^{-1}[/tex]

You can then express the above as:

[tex]\frac{dT}{dP} - C_{1} \ = C_{2}T^{-1}[/tex]

which would then be in the form of a

Awesome thank you, I dont know how I missed this in both my differential equations text and advanced engineering math text. Bernoulli was a smart guy, and he developed this method several hundred years ago, I think I need to take a few more math classes. I would like to take a PDE class but I think I still have plenty to learn in just first order and second order differential equations, I just need to find a class that gets deep down into the trenches on how some of these methods were thought up, understanding the thought process to solve these equations can help you solve more complex problems later on. My goal is to be able to think of engineering in math so I can readily apply concepts into usable equations for problems that dont nessicarily have a text book canned equation.

I need to learn how to use the little equation editor that everyone else uses it makes equations way easier to read.

Defennder
Homework Helper
The equation editor I use here is in-built into the forums. It's called LaTeX. You can learn to use it rather easily. Click on the equations and download the latex reference PDF files. If you want to learn how to input a particular maths expression you see, just click on it to see how it's done.