Second order ordinary differential equation to a system of first order

• I
  • Thread starter LSMOG
  • Start date
I tried to convert the second order ordinary differential equation to a system of first order differential equations and to write it in a matrix form. I took it from the book by LM Hocking on (Optimal control). What did I do wrong in this attachment because mine
IMG_20180525_211314.jpg
differs from the book?. I've attached both the book solution and mine. Thanks.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

tnich
Homework Helper
I tried to convert the second order ordinary differential equation to a system of first order differential equations and to write it in a matrix form. I took it from the book by LM Hocking on (Optimal control). What did I do wrong in this attachment because mineView attachment 226158 differs from the book?. I've attached both the book solution and mine. Thanks.
I don't think there is anything wrong with your way (except for the ##\frac 1 k## you have penciled in front of the matrix in your equation). It still leads to the same solution to the differential equation. Your way does require fiddling with the constants a little more to get to that solution, which may be why your textbook gives the particular form you found there.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
You didn't do anything wrong. Just that your definition of ##x_2## is different from that in the book.
When I do this I do it the same way you do, but perhaps the book author has some specific reason for his approach ?

Thanks very much